Acid Wash Appreciation

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
I never owned a pair, but i chased alot of girls in them back in the day.They never seemed 'right', when they came out. I can F*ck with over-bleached jeans but the Acid thang was real suspect. Especially on like dark jeans n shit.

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    i thought everybody rocked acid wash back in the late 80's... after Lees played out you had the acid wash suede front style joints and the ones with the little leather patches at the pockets and elsewhere (had a fly pair ruined by the local cleaners... grrr), then everybody just started rippin' holes all in their schitts (jamaican stylee i think)... yeah, you pretty much had to have some acid wash back in that era, dukes

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I luckily avoided that whole steez, but yeah shit was quite ubiquitous in the hood those days.

And it persisted in the 'burbs like whoa.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yea - It was not really my look first time around, but I have a pair now that I love. They are a touch lighter than Ri-Ri's up there.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I luckily avoided that whole steez, but yeah shit was quite ubiquitous in the hood those days.

actually maybe i'm thinking about stone wash... that's different than the acid, i guess. i don't know, it's been a minute

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Disgusting... one of the worst looks ever and hugely popular in eastern Germany. "Moonwashed", "stonewashed", "acidwashed", "brainwashed". Whenever I see images of these atrocities I'm reminded of weird-looking east-germans piling over the borders in their funny little plastic cars, fuled by a zombie-like hunger for bananas and a holiday in the sun.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,901 Posts
    Those pics are Stone Wash, no? Washing the jeans with gravel to get the roughed-up texture.

Awful.

Back in the early-mid 80's, there was a scally trend for getting your new dark blue jeans, tying the legs in knots, and washing them in a tub of water with a high bleach content.

You would never shorten the jeans to hang at the correct length (does anyone these days?), simply rip slits into the sides of the ankles to allow them to cover your shoes. Those shoes would typically be red Kickers or slip-on Adidas dress shoes.

Awful too, but carried gravitas on the football terraces. Top it off with a vintage trackie top or Lyle & Scott/Pringle golf jumper.

I myself was sporting better looks at the time.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

And it persisted in the 'burbs like whoa.

In the nineties, after acid wash REALLY became passe, they could still be seen on suburban moms who (seemingly) stopped following fashion after they started having children. Like an older version of the big-hair white girl at the beginning of this thread, in Batmon's post.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Disgusting... one of the worst looks ever and hugely popular in eastern Germany. "Moonwashed", "stonewashed", "acidwashed", "brainwashed". Whenever I see images of these atrocities I'm reminded of weird-looking east-germans piling over the borders in their funny little plastic cars, fuled by a zombie-like hunger for bananas and a holiday in the sun.

acidwash was my 80s suburban experience. damn i wish i had photos from a school dance or two.

if you're gonna rep the acid wash, you better ROCK the acid wash.