SPARKLE

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2010 in Strut Central
I just saw this for the first time.Its a shame there is no deluxe dvd version w/ coversations/etc.Why did Aretha drop an album for this? Why not some clean studio versions from the movie?Lonette McKee (fine as hell) does a very good job. She's no sanger but she surprised me w/ her vocals. I/m surprised she didnt have a go at it as an artist herself.Seein this made me see Irene Cara as quite "old" in Fame. Str8 Beautiful.The songs arent that great. Givin' Him Something He Can Feel is the obvious hit.Phillip Michael Thomas as Stix/Sticks did his thang.I'd really like to have the score/og soundtrack as a package.And where have i seen Satin (the gangster/hustler) before?

Comments

• Lonette McKee (fine as hell) does a very good job. She's no sanger but she surprised me w/ her vocals. I/m surprised she didnt have a go at it as an artist herself.

She did...

• Lonette McKee (fine as hell) does a very good job. She's no sanger but she surprised me w/ her vocals. I/m surprised she didnt have a go at it as an artist herself.

She did...

I have a pretty good Detroit soul single she did on the M-S label in the sixties. And even into the disco/modern era, she turned up on Warner Bros. with an album.

I think her mom was a Detroit DJ (Martha Jean "the Queen," who had a spoken-word-with-music LP herself, in the mid-late sixties, on Epic).

• Why did Aretha drop an album for this? Why not some clean studio versions from the movie?

Name recognition, most likely.

Phillip Michael Thomas as Stix/Sticks did his thang.

But his thang sure as hell wasn't singing.

I only saw this flick once, back in the eighties, and remember being less than impressed with Thomas' vocalizing. No wonder his own album(s?) didn't go anywhere.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    "sister can't fly with just one wing". it trips me out that joel shumacher wrote this and the wiz!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Why did Aretha drop an album for this? Why not some clean studio versions from the movie?

I only saw this flick once, back in the eighties, and remember being less than impressed with Thomas' vocalizing. No wonder his own album(s?) didn't go anywhere.

• Why did Aretha drop an album for this? Why not some clean studio versions from the movie?

Well...his voice is better than I remembered. A little thin, but he a-ight.