Popside Discograhpy

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone got one? I looked at Global Dog and Soulful Kind. There's an incomplete one here. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Anyone got one? I looked at Global Dog and Soulful Kind. There's an incomplete one here. Thanks in advance.

That's very interesting. The only stuff I've ever seen is Lou Courtney and the Webs. I wonder what that stuff is like.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    To my knowledge, that is a complete Popside discography, minus the Lou Courtney LP. Popside was the Riverside spin-off for Popular music. The blue 'n' pink label was first used for Riverside's Courtney singles, and the catalogue numbers carry over uninterrupted (4591 to 4592).

The Leo McCorkle is pretty good, but you might not need it in your collection.

EDIT: the Courtney Lp is actually Riverside 92000.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Riverside 4588 Lou Courtney - Skate Now / I Can Always Tell - 1966
    Riverside 4589 Lou Courtney - Do The Thing / Man Is Lonely - 1967
    Riverside 4590 The Gems - I'll Be There / I Miss Him
    Riverside 4591 Lou Courtney - You Ain't Ready / I've Got Just The Thing
    Popside 4592 Leo McCorkle - Please Send Me Somebody Else / On Top of The World
    Popside 4593 The Webs - This Thing Called Love / Tomorrow
    Popside 4594 Lou Courtney - Hey Joyce / I'm Mad About You
    Popside 4595 The Webs - Give In / It's So Hard To Break A Habit
    Popside 4596 Lou Courtney - If The Shoe Fits / It's Love Now - 1968

(edited)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What I want to know is...where does this fit in the history of Riverside Records?

Because, if you notice, most histories of Riverside plainly state that the label went out of business around '64. And yet here are these latter-day soul records from 1966-68, which judging by trademarks, label fonts, etc. obviously have some connection with the earlier company.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Riverside 4588 Lou Courtney - Skate Now / I Can Always Tell - 1966
    Popside 4594 Lou Courtney - I'm Mad About You / Hey Joyce
    Popside 4596 Lou Courtney - It's Love Now / If The Shoe Fits

?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It's the catalogue number transition between Riverside and Popside, including all of Courtney's singles for the outfit.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    What I want to know is...where does this fit in the history of Riverside Records?

Because, if you notice, most histories of Riverside plainly state that the label went out of business around '64. And yet here are these latter-day soul records from 1966-68, which judging by trademarks, label fonts, etc. obviously have some connection with the earlier company.

I'm guessing that Popside was either a splinter faction bourne of the remains of Riverside (same address on the label, right?) or the Jazz label decided to change focus for a year to keep the checks coming in. Battle, another Riverside sub, was in existence and died out before Popside came around, and there are some tracks (like Mongo Santamaria's "Fatback") that were on both Riverside and Battle labels. I have not done any research on this, so don't quote me.

It's the catalogue number transition between Riverside and Popside, including all of Courtney's singles for the outfit.

Right, but what's with the repeated releases/numbers - does that mean they
    were re-released or is it just a typo or something?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Oops. Those last two should be stricken. Cut-and-paste error.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

My guess is that whoever was left to pick up the pieces after the '64 bankruptcy was still issuing stuff intermittently through to the late 60s. Orpheum Productions has the same address that Riverside did (235 West 46th St.) & there were still issues of Gospel stuff on Battle & Jazz LPs on Riverside (mainly reissues) that have the Orpheum Productions name & that address on the label. So definitely related somehow, but possibly not through Keepnews who I guess had moved onto Milestone by '66 (unless he kept issues coming after the bankruptcy following Grauer's death). Lou Courtney & Robert Bateman were a good team on Riverside for that run of singles & LP though.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    That's funny I never really paid attention to the fact that those other Courtney releases are on Riverside. SHit looks exactly the same. My bad. Are there a lot of soul releases on Riverside?

Are there a lot of soul releases on Riverside?
    Not unless you count "soul jazz" A few Staple Singers gospel 45s. The Lou Courtney/The Webs era list above is about it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Are there a lot of soul releases on Riverside?
    Not unless you count "soul jazz"
    A few Staple Singers gospel 45s. The Lou Courtney/The Webs era list above is about it.

Roscoe Shelton had two singles on Battle, back in 1962-63.

• Riverside 4588 Lou Courtney - Skate Now / I Can Always Tell - 1966

(edited)

BTW Here's the Lou Courtney mix I did for Funky16Corners covering all the labels he recorded for...

http://funky16corners.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/funky16corners-radio-v61-focus-on-lou-courtney/

Funky16Corners Radio v.61 ??? Focus On Lou Courtney

Playlist
    Professional Lover (Imperial 45)
    I Watched You Slowly Slip Away (Philips 45)+
    Skate Now (Riverside 45)
    Do The Thing (Riverside LP version)
    You Ain???t Ready (Riverside 45)
    I???ve Got Just the Thing (Riverside 45)
    If the Shoe Fits (Popside 45)
    It???s Love Now (Popside 45)
    I Need You Now (Riverside LP Track)
    Me & You Doing the Boogaloo (Riverside LP track)
    Hey Joyce (Popside 45)
    I???m Mad About You (Popside 45)
    Do the Horse (Verve 45)
    Rubber Neckin??? Chick Check???n (Verve 45)
    You Can Give Your Love To Me (Verve 45)
    Tryin??? To Find My Woman (Buddah 45)+
    Lou Courtney & Funk Junction ??? Hot Butter???n???All (Hurdy Gurdy 45)
    Beware (Rags 45)
    The Best Thing That a Man Can Do For His Woman (Epic 45)
    Lou Courtney & Buffalo Smoke ??? Don???t Stop the Box (RCA LP track)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Thanks for this, Larry. I have most of the better known titles interested to see if he did more worth hearing. Anyone got the 2 Webs 45s for DL?

You Can Give Your Love To Me (Verve 45)

Such an awesome - and slept on - 45!

for some reason I always get Lou Courtney & Leon Haywood mixed up. I also used to call Leon Haywood "Eddie Heywood" when talking about him....

there's a Soul Source thread that discusses some interesting label variants on the Gems 45 on TruGloTown/Riverside.

here

• You Can Give Your Love To Me (Verve 45)

Such an awesome - and slept on - 45!

Both of those Verve 45s are heat.