Best Record Spot in NYC

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Big City and Good Records for me, tough to choose just one.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The old Sound Library was thee shit

• Options

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I fux w/ Academy in Williamsburg & Good Wreka Sto.

• Academy in Williamsburg is great, but i think they hold all there good 45's for ebay.

• Deadly Dragon Sound.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

really?
    i disagree deeply.
    to me that place signified the official end of fun, i.e. the opposite of digging.
    listening booths, organization, break-frenzy based pricing.

which is now just the norm in the ny. but i have grown accustomed to it and learned to f*cking deal.

i love you though jared!

and thus in the now...long live big city AND goodrecords AND gimme gimme (the stepchild)

• The old Sound Library was thee shit

really?
    i disagree deeply.
    to me that place signified the official end fun, i.e. the opposite of digging.
    listening booths, organization, break-frenzy based pricing.

which is now just the norm in the ny. but i have grown accustomed to it and learned to f*cking deal.

i love you though jared!

and thus in the now...long live big city AND goodrecords AND gimme gimme (the stepchild)

Jared and Johnny are the best record store owners I have ever met, Reid from IN Your Ear in Boston is the f*cking man too. I went into Gimme Gimme the other day and that place smelt like an old damp basement, i turned around and walked out. People have told me in the past that the guy that owns it is a douche bag. But what do they know.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i love jared, but good records is THE shop in n.y.

i think i've outgrown the records big city stocks, though theres still some good soul lp's on the wall, i bought them years ago. But honestly i cant F*ck with high end japan funk ost's and library joints. i do admit i don't collect salsa, jazz and 45's which they seem to specialize in, so maybe thats why i haven't bought anything there my last few visits.

academy is cool as well as rocket scientist, i need to give gimmie gimmie another chance.

peace,xavier

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Right now I'd give Good Records the edge as my favorite shop in the City.
    I've found great stuff in Gimme Gimme over the years and they've always been friendly.
    The Sound Library was good for finding grails but not so good for "digging."
    A-1 I wrote off after they tried to rip me off on a trade (if someone brings in a pile of only good records chances are they know what they have!).
    Rocket Scientist I've always found to be overpriced although I love browsing there.
    Kim's on Saint Marks used to be the place. I found some real steals in there over the years.
    I also miss Vinylmania. Found some great stuff there as well and I just loved the atmosphere of the place.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    to be honest, NY murders the record game. all of the aforementioned spots are better than most record shops that i've been to. the one time i was at gimme gimme they had some real nice pieces on the wall. i miss the ny record game....my wallet doesn't.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i love jared, but good records is THE shop in n.y.

i think i've outgrown the records big city stocks, though theres still some good soul lp's on the wall, i bought them years ago. But honestly i cant F*ck with high end japan funk ost's and library joints. i do admit i don't collect salsa, jazz and 45's which they seem to specialize in, so maybe thats why i haven't bought anything there my last few visits.

academy is cool as well as rocket scientist, i need to give gimmie gimmie another chance.

peace,xavier

Dan is just quiet and he might of been standoffish with ur friends but he's far from a d bag, but let's assume for a minute that your friends are annoying. Well whatever the case, dan is so nice.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    it's got to be Princeton Record Exchange. they're so generous, they even give out free bags at WFMU with their phone number and info on what labels to look for when selling to them. that way, when i die, my spouse will know who to call to sell my shit for 3 cents on the dollar.

Stay classy PREX.

PS
    GRNYC and Academy in a photofinish tie

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Academy in Williamsburg is great, but i think they hold all there good 45's for ebay.

I know it's semi-inappropriate for me to weigh in but... Until last week we haven't put anything on ebay for at least 3-4 months, and we haven't had an auction of 45s in at least a year.

Fact is, most things sell at least as well in the store as they do on ebay now. We only put stuff up that our customers generally don't care about (or did you all want that Ben Harper box?).

Carry on.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    NY murders the record game.

Real talk. Only question is Japan vs. NYC.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Good Records is a great shop. but i collect hip hop stuff and that award goes to Big City. Jared and Johnny are both good dudes...

Academy in WB is amazing though as far as sheer volume and turnover. i used to like both Academy Record spots way more until they started pricing rap 12"s on some next level shit...

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    oh and A-1 is good if you have about 600 beat up 12"s that you know you cant sell anywhere

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I gotta go with Jonny and Good Records, super great dood, killer selection across the board, pretty fair prices for a boutique, and good trade scenarios (although the ultimate trade spot for me was Big City, Jared pulled a Cool Chris and traded me straight across, gotta luv that!). With that in mind Big City is a close second. I also found cool stuff at OK prices at Academy and TSL.
    The NYC stores kick ass! I got WAY more stuff from them than I did at WFMU.

Deadly Dragon Sound.

I didn't make it to DDS last time I was in New York cause I stopped by their table at WFMU
    and was amazed at the condition to price ratio....

NY murders the record game.

What about London? I always heard that town was great for records.

• NY murders the record game.

What about London? I always heard that town was great for records.

15 years ago

• Deadly Dragon Sound.

I didn't make it to DDS last time I was in New York cause I stopped by their table at WFMU
    and was amazed at the condition to price ratio....

don't let that sway you from giving their storefront a visit.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Kim's on Saint Marks used to be the place.

I miss that shop. I could spend hours in there, vinyl then DVDs.