DDA- the evolution of cd's?

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Off smh.com.au"After six months of "test marketing", the Australian entrepreneur behind a new music format believes his invention may have found a niche market.The format, called DDA Digital, consists of a USB stick that, as well as containing MP3 files of the songs on the album, gives users access to extra material such as videos, lyrics and photos.Industry stalwart Scott Murphy, who has patented the technology, says it gives fans another option on how to buy and listen to music by their favourite artists. "It's a little bit CD, it's a little bit buying an album from iTunes, it's a little bit Facebook and it's a little bit Twitter," he says. "We're not saying we're here to replace the CD because I don't think that at all - I think the CD will be around for many years."DDA is just one of a long list of attempts by the music industry to shore up a business model that has been under assault from the digital revolution for some years. Australian CD sales slid by more than 12 per cent last year, according to figures from industry body ARIA (see box below).With the DDA, users who register their device can access a "digital locker" where the tracks are stored and can be accessed from any computer. Tracks on the USB stick are in MP3 format, while high-quality versions can be downloaded once users register. There is also a community aspect to the system, allowing fans to communicate online with each other and with the artists themselves.Four Australian acts signed up in time for the December launch - Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, Sneaky Sound System, Grafton Primary and Skipping Girl Vinegar - a number Murphy claims will grow to 25 by the end of the year. Of these, Murphy says, Gurrumul has been the most popular, with more than 1000 "activations" so far. And, he says, DDA is not limited to music. A tie-in with a football club is in the offing and there's the possibility of a cookbook.However, the format has attracted criticism from many blog posters cynical about what they see as yet another attempt by the music industry to stop users sharing music online."No way. I can't see these things being on shelves for more than six months," was a typical post in response to the launch. " ??? people still aren't going to bother going out to the shops when they can buy their music at home or even on the go over the air these days. Too little too late, I think."But Michael Hohnen, who plays double bass with Gurrumul and is also his spokesman, says the DDA format is well suited to the reclusive indigenous star."We need ways of presenting him and his story in a way that does not impact too heavily on him as a person," he says. "Over time, technology like DDA is going to give us the opportunity to take him and his world to the audience without him having to tour as hard as some artists."Murphy points out that the DDA music is priced about the same level as an iTunes album but comes with a lot of extras."DDA is an alternative for people who are really into their music and want to buy an album digitally but want more value for money and want a richer and ongoing experience," he says.

Comments

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    BTW- if you haven't heard any Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu I suggest you check him out.....

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    everyone is trying to do this right now, create a system of licensed extra content to encourage people to buy the music. Interesting to see how it will play out, but in the end it's going to be a matter of standardization - no one wants to have to jump between multiple systems to do this.