Best BBQ in Brooklyn?

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I have some fellow Kraut visitors in town who really like their BBQ... what's the best place for ribs in Brooklyn? I tried Jake's a while back and was a bit underwhelmed...Thanx for the help!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Isnt there a fairly new joint in Williamsburg?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I think I passed a nice-looking spot a few weeks ago but can't seem to remember where exactly it was nor the name of the place...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There arent that many BBQ spots in NYC due to the smoke laws.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Fette Sau on Metropolitan and Havemeyer is excellent but crowded.

As a bonus it means Fat Pig in German!

(Not that you need me to tell you that)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    there used to be a spot called "buscuit" on flatbush i know they closed but not sure if it's cause they moved,

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I heard that Hill Country BBQ was pretty good. Haven't been myself but was told it was based on Central Texas BBQ.

http://www.hillcountryny.com

• Fette Sau is good.

Dress

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Fette Sau on Metropolitan and Havemeyer is excellent but crowded.

As a bonus it means Fat Pig in German!

(Not that you need me to tell you that)

the sides and sauce there are pretty terrible, but the meat is excellent... non-traditional rubs, but very very good... possibly the best i've had in NYC... Smoke Joint in Fort Greene has really great sides, but their BBQ is so so... so, if you have a car, get yr sides from Smoke Joint and yr meat from Fette Sau...

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    sorry that fette sau place is wack. only had it once, but that's enough for me to decide.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    My wife and I really liked Fette Sau's pork bellies and the general vibe of the place. If they opened a branch in DC (hint hint) they'd make a killing!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I prefer Smoke Joint to Fette Sau by a big margin.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx for the input!

Will try both, Fette Sau and the Smoke Joint...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

I think I passed a nice-looking spot a few weeks ago but can't seem to remember where exactly it was nor the name of the place...

The newest spot is Char # 4 in Cobble Hill - supposed to be pretty good too. Opens at 5 though, I think, so skip for lunch. On Sundays I think they're open all day.

Hill Country, I have been to. This is perhaps one of the most expensive bbq meals I've had - and it's a complete load. The food is all decent - but nothing wowing. You won't get out of there full without spending $30+ --- it's a complete rip off. I will say, to their benefit though, delicious wet brisket - really, really, really good.

Basically, you're gonna get douched for ill bbq in NY. Blue Smoke is supposed to be decent - but I heard that these guys go as far as charging for olives in Martinis??? Yes, pause on that, but this is what I was told - and I could only imagine what a rip it must be if they're getting that cheap with their customers. And not to mention - what kind of f*cking bbq place serves martinis? Wow - didn't think about this just til now.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    ditto. hill country is mad expensive. decent though, but you'll be paying a grip for what it is. also, you'll wait a while for a big party, so go early.

there's daisy mae's but i've only had a sandwich there which was good.
    http://www.daisymaysbbq.com

folks talk up dinosaur as well.
    http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

those spots are in manhattan though.

also, i gotta admit i'm not a big meat eater.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Manhattan BBQ:

Blue Smoke is very bougie but pretty good, nice sides and stuff, but the ribs didn't wow me. I don't if people are looking for that dry rub stuff, but I like it a bit saucy.

Daisy Mae's is also pretty good, the ribs ain't bad, but the Pulled Pork sangich is at least in NY..

I'll cosign hearing good things about Dinosaur, but I can't vouch personally. I can vouch heartily for Rack and Soul on 109 and Broadway. Good ribs, sides and pulled pork, not cheap, but also not on that BS upscale BBQ tip like Blue Smoke.

Kinda disappointed that bk BBQ scene sounds so bleak, was hoping there would be some secret sauce dropped in this thread. Someone's gotta be holding back..

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    The newest spot is Char # 4 in Cobble Hill - supposed to be pretty good too. Opens at 5 though, I think, so skip for lunch. On Sundays I think they're open all day.

Char is real nice. killer brunch one time and had dinner there another time. not really a bbq place per se tho.

it's definitely about the pork and meats and all.. but they should call themselves Oaked or something, the single malt selection there is and the entrees all have that smokey goodness.