Celebrate MJ's entire discography (RR)

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Discuss your Favorite MJ songs in this thread.[/b] I know your all still on some reactionary bullshit, but now that the dust is settling. Let's get some intelligent discourse on the brilliant discography MJ left behind. Share your knowledge, exclusives, re-edits, upgrades and intelligence here. Maria, you were the only one.[/b]September 13 1971Album "GOT TO BE THERE"Produced by Allen Story & George GordyWritten by Larry Brown, George Gordy, Linda Glover, Allen StoryArranged by James Carmichaelb-side to "Looking Through the Window";This was Michael's first SOLO album he was only thirteen years old. In my honest opinion HANDS DOWN Michael jackson was the best cover artist in Motown. His covers are completly mind blowing with his level of intensity and emotional content. As with most motown songs the information and songwriting credits are shady at best. I believe this song was originally written for Jimmy Ruffin. The Backing band is definitley the funk brothers, and this song is dripping with that "MOTOWN SOUND". Added the Jimmy Ruffin OG.- diego

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Butterflies (remix)

one of my all time faves, love love love this song.

• the demo version of working day and night is my favourite of his, but what a catalogue to choose from though!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont have a clear fav.

I Got Find Me A Girl from Goin Places comes to mind.

It was Gamble and Huff having Mike sing in the Teddy Pendergrass Philly style.

His vocal delivery seemed out of his box...IMO, but dude being the Soul singer he is handles his shit.

I feel the lessons learned w/ Gamble & Huff carried over to their self-produced Epic era.

Dude was in transition here and was shedding that teenager steez.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    SOLO:
    "We're Almost There" (his voice has changed by now...this was 1975 on Motown, from the Forever, Michael elpee)

WITH THE J-5:
    - "Oh How Happy" (Jermaine takes the lead, but Michael's background vocals almost steal the show - from Third Album, 1970)
    - "I Can't Quit Your Love" (from Skywriter, 1973)
    - "Maybe Tomorrow" (extremely melancholy, not as happy-go-lucky as their other hits from the same time...1971)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Butterflies (remix)

Floetry demo + Michaels album version

Written by Marsha Ambrosius (Floetry)
    Instrumentation: Andre Harris
    Recorded by Andre Harris and Bruce Swedien
    Mixed by Bruce Swedien

Marsha Ambrosius - "Michael Jackson… what can I say… there are few people in this world that can say they have been in the studio with him… I produced both musically and vocally Michael Jackson alongside Andre Harris…

I had to get it together for that one. ironically enough the song title “Butterflies”. I had them the whole time… who would of thought that a demo recorded in 1997 that nobody was feeling at all, would get the attention of the world’s most famous??!! Not I… the song was part of the Floetry demo and his people heard it, played it for him, he loved it, the rest is history."

- spidey

• TensTens 27 Posts
    My personal favorite is "I Can't Help It" written by Stevie Wonder

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Butterflies (remix)

Floetry demo + Michaels album version

Written by Marsha Ambrosius (Floetry)
    Instrumentation: Andre Harris
    Recorded by Andre Harris and Bruce Swedien
    Mixed by Bruce Swedien

Marsha Ambrosius - "Michael Jackson??? what can I say??? there are few people in this world that can say they have been in the studio with him??? I produced both musically and vocally Michael Jackson alongside Andre Harris???

I had to get it together for that one. ironically enough the song title ???Butterflies???. I had them the whole time??? who would of thought that a demo recorded in 1997 that nobody was feeling at all, would get the attention of the world???s most famous??!! Not I??? the song was part of the Floetry demo and his people heard it, played it for him, he loved it, the rest is history."

- spidey

wow, I had no idea. That's one of those songs I never investigated, I just loved it from the moment I heard it. Thanks for that.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Though it tends to be considered one of the lesser cuts from OTW, I always enjoyed MJ's version of "Girlfriend":

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Though it tends to be considered one of the lesser cuts from OTW, I always enjoyed MJ's version of "Girlfriend":

Nah. This aint no lesser cut. I got radio play back in the day.

EUPHORIA[/b]

Album "MUSIC AND ME"
    Written by Leon Ware & Jacqueline Hilliard
    Arranged by Gene Page

I wanna be where you are[/b]

Album "GOT TO BE THERE"
    Written by Leon Ware, Arthur "T-Boy" Ross
    "Hollers by Leon Ware and Arthur Ross"

Alright who wants to put money that Carol Kaye is the session Bass player on this track??

LEON WARE OG

- diego

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Does Herm know about this?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    "Baby Be Mine" is the joint.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I was just sent this acapella, it gave me goosebumps.

This seems the appropriate place to share it.

borrowed most of this from this site

- diego

the demo version of working day and night is my favourite of his, but what a catalogue to choose from though!

WORKIN DAY AND NIGHT 1978 demo (FLAC)

- spidey

• TensTens 27 Posts
    Thanx Spidey. I had never heard that Tangoterje mix before.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Now THIS is a Micheal Jackson thread. Beautiful.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm only semi kidding with this, this episode of the Simpsons made me tear up and I was a grown ass man when this first aired:

ROCK WITH YOU[/b]

November 3, 1979
    Writer - Rod Temperton
    Producer - Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones

FLAC

-spidey

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    These two songs are killing me right now:

(from I>Ben[/i])

http://rghost.ru/316379
    (DJ Spinna remixing "We're Almost There")

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Does Herm know about this?

I do now! Thanks Tens!!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

....word I was gonna post this mix up it is one of my favorites on the Gamm label I think....sublime good shit...I play this whenever i play out.

Written by Clay Drayton / Hal Davis / T.Smith
    Produced by Hal Davis

"A short time after that I was on the writing staff at Motown Records, working with some of the best producers in the world. Hal Davis would come into the room asking "Anyone got anything for my boys?" (i.e. The Jackson 5). I said "Yeah, I have a few songs", he listened and liked what I had."
    As a bass player Mr. Drayton played on many of the Jacksons' sings: "Being a bass player, Joe Jackson asked me to do some things with Jermaine. I also wrote and produced some things on Randy and Janet when they were young. Unfortunately," he says "these things were not released." - CLAY DRAYTON

BBOYS!?

- DIEGO

HUM ALONG AND DANCE[/b]

Album Get It Together
    Written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong
    Produced by Norman Whitfield

WIKIPEDIA - (The Jackson 5 version of "Hum Along and Dance" appeared as the closing track for side A of their 1973 album G.I.T.: Get It Together. The lead vocals are primarily handled by Jackie Jackson and Tito Jackson, with Michael Jackson and Marlon Jackson appearing towards the end. Although the Jackson brothers are heard yelling out "play it, Tito" and "play it, Jermaine", the actual instrumentalists on the track were Los Angeles studio players. Motown did not allow the Jacksons to play their own instruments or write and produce their own material, and the lack of creative freedom would cause the group to leave for CBS Records within two years of making this recording.

This version of "Hum Along and Dance" is stylistically similar to the Rare Earth version, and features nearly the same arrangement with more of an electric funk sound added to the mix. A bewildered Michael Jackson is heard asking, upon hearing the song's chorus, "ain't no words? What you mean?" His band mate and brother Tito Jackson replies, as he has been doing throughout the song, by reiterating Gil Bridges' reasoning: "we ain't have time to write none". Jackie Jackson is heard answering as well telling Michael Jackson what to do.)

damn good postn@ Spidey

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    damn good postn@ Spidey

I imagine heads will be up on this already, but if not, you're in for a treat. Easily the best Motown-related music blog on the internet (and if it isn't, I'd like to know what is). I've found so much great stuff on here over the last couple of years, and there's a couple of great Michael-related posts from the last few days that I think people will dig.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

....word I was gonna post this mix up it is one of my favorites on the Gamm label I think....sublime good shit...I play this whenever i play out.

Aw shit here goes a 320 upgrade I found on my old hard drive.

Anybody got a copy of that MJ/DILLA track?

- spidey

Aw shit here goes a 320 upgrade I found on my old hard drive.

Anybody got a copy of that MJ/DILLA track?

- spidey

thanks for the upgrade Imma put it on my iphone...someone should do a MJ/ Jackson 5 mix..

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

That breakdown at ca. 1:20 gives me shivers every time.