How is it that trains STILL collide???

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Train technology = how old now???The train is a vehicle of transportation, which was invented in 1822 by an English inventor named George Stephenson.So after almost 200 years we still can't get it right? Train A goes one way, train B goes the other.Sheesh.The only reason we put a man on the moon is that there wasn't a f*cking train there....

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    speaking of train wrecks, ABC report that John and Kate Gosselin filed for divorce.

Too soon?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    what IS the deal with cheese puffs?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Same reason ships still sink......

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    They're relatively hard to stop.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts

pirates?? missiles? scurvy?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

The difference being ships aren't directed on narrow 4 foot wide paths controlled entirely by humans.

b/w

because they're dizzy

dizzy bulls

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    oh wow... where did you find that?

I haven't seen that in a looooong time....

• the dc metro is amazing tho

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    oh wow... where did you find that?

I haven't seen that in a looooong time....

The archive of dizzybull.com of course.

• Same reason ships still sink......

The difference being ships aren't directed on narrow 4 foot wide paths controlled entirely by humans.

b/w

because they're dizzy

dizzy bulls

they are not controlled entirely by humans... a solid state interlocking (SSI) or a route relay interlocking (RRI) will prevent human input creating conflicting movements on the rail infrastructure; these systems are EMENSE, with thousands of relays (sometimes 10's of thousands) or multiple SSI units controlling large geographical areas.
    All safety systems are designed 'fail-safe' ie failing to the safest possible outcome although due to the size and complexity (and more often than not the maintenence guys who are generally mad lazy) even a minor fault can cause a "wrong side failure", which, as a worst case scenario can result in a collision.
    collisions are getting raer due to investigations and developments after each incident.

an unfortunate accident..

and i would put money on more ships sinking per year than trains crashing...

• Train technology = how old now??

always innovating. Check the tech.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Are all our other DC heads and their families OK? The train was coming into DC from the MD suburbs (PG), and is probably 4-6 miles from my house. My sister in law uses that station everyday, thankfully she works in DC and would have been heading toward the station later, same with my wife and I(although we exit at the station 2 before Fort Totten). I was in Baltimore for the afternoon, so when I started getting emails about it and all these missed phone calls I had to call and see what was up. My wife said that the stations were pandemonium and Metro was not telling anyone what happened or stopping anyone from entering even though the platforms were packed with people.

Metro has been going increasingly downhill over the last 5 years especially, IMO, having ridden it for 11 years in several different sections of the city. They seem to have more and more accidents(even though it is still the safest mode overall), and delays constantly. Maintenence seems to be harder and harder for them to get done, etc. I know that major changes need to happen on the RedLine, now with this, I can see that it will finally start to get traction and get done, but that means major disruption. The RedLine is the main artery, and if they start to update it, it will be a major clusterfuck.