happy fathers day everybody.

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
hope you get to take a nap today or something.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,912 Posts
    Dream on... Took the fam to visit my dad.

I did get a "Dangermouse" T-shirt though.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I never even thought to Google this, but my brother found our Dad's invention patent online.

I don't even understand all this technical mumbo jumbo, but I'm extremely proud of him for it. When he came over from the motherland (aka Mejico) he spoke no English, so he excelled in the most universal of studies, math and numbers. Became a Senior Electrical Engineer for Az Nuclear Power Plant, came up with this invention that detects ground faults without opening a circuit (named it the "Groundhog" as his initials are H.O.G. - genius if you ask me) and sold a grip of them to power plants around the world.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    and his son has an assburger as an avatar.....

Exactly. It be's that way sometimes.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Herm,

that is a great story... My father, also a scientist, just had a colleague submit a proposal to name a mineral after my old man. So proud of that. We're definitely different people- I'm the assburger to his nuclear patent holder- but I wouldn't be the man I am if not for that earth scientist.

Knowing that a part of the earth is named for my father makes me really proud.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    It aint fathers day here till september.... but you guys have reminded me I gots to call el viejo...

seen this in slate? some nice pix...

web page

At the family BBQ today (i.e. "carne asada lampin' on the grill...so now, we eat"), my cousins and my Dad - avid amateur golfers - were telling a story I had forgotten:

They were all golfing at a real nice course in Green Valley, AZ about a couple years ago. Green Valley is about 20 minutes from the Mexican border. While they were teeing up, some dude comes outta nowhere running full speed near my fam. HoLmes was an illegal. My Dad pulls out a $20 bill, whistles and yells out "Oye!" waving the money to help dude out. Dude looks over and quickly gives my Dad a "gracias pero no gracias" look, then points behind him and screams "la migra!"

They all turn around and see a Border Patrol truck all up on the green barreling after dude. My Dad - who never gained citizenship - said "ay ay ay!" and quickly put the money away. Helping out illegals is a huge and very punishable offense, and I doubt they would give my "non-American" Dad any leniency for offering cash like that.

As far as they could tell, dude got away. And even though he might've been caught, sent back, hopped the fence again, rinse repeat recycle, I can't front...it makes for a very funny story amongst our family.

Herm