RSS vs. page hits question

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
If folks subscribe to a website via an email system where every post is then site-fed to their email address...does each email "count" as a web hit? Or does subscribing via email circumvent the system through which page loads are counted? I'm assuming the latter but since I don't know how these things actually work, I figured somewhere here would.

Comments

• If folks subscribe to a website via an email system where every post is then site-fed to their email address...does each email "count" as a web hit? Or does subscribing via email circumvent the system through which page loads are counted?

I'm assuming the latter but since I don't know how these things actually work, I figured somewhere here would.

O*liver

How do get your stats? When I started with Wordpress they used to run page hits and feed acquisitions as separate stats, so I assume they were collected differently.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I believe that they are different categories. You have your site hits, and you have your RSS feeds. I always assumed that "total audience" was the sum of these two categories.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ah, ok. This confirms my assumptions. Which is good since that means that I actually have more than double the number of readers I thought I did. Thanks guys.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    O, a hit happens when a graphic is served. so when a user comes to your page, this is counted as 1 visit but if you have a graphic heavy page and the user sees (is delivered) multiple images, then this one page view results in multiple hits.

do not pay attention to 'hits' it is a useless stat in your case.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, I look at unique visitors rather than page loads.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    O, a hit happens when a graphic is served. so when a user comes to your page, this is counted as 1 visit but if you have a graphic heavy page and the user sees (is delivered) multiple images, then this one page view results in multiple hits.

do not pay attention to 'hits' it is a useless stat in your case.

Good point. I casually said "hits" when I specifically meant "visits".