OPERA completly changes the game

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central

Most people don't give a F*ck about what browser they use. The reality is that Web browsers control how you view the Web, and most people are on the web daily. That's why so many companys (Apple,Microsoft,Google,MOZILLA) are investing money into the web browsing programs.I personally use OPERA as a web browser because I can customize it how I like it on anybodys computer in less than a minute. I feel the OPERA team understands alot of the problems I have with other browsers. Plus things other browsers aren't even on. (Built in bit torrent. Pandora Widget.) I fix computers for work so I'm constantly working on other peoples problems, and staying on top of technology. As a result I have a considerably different pov on computers. This is some shit that I am actually hyped on. Opera has just unveiled OPERA UNITE. In a nut shell: Opera Unite is a free program that turns your web browser into a personal server. Allowing you to share Files, music, photos, and host your own website.- (SOULSEEK)File sharing features in Opera- (AIM)Instant messenging features in Opera- (FLICKR)The ability to host photos in Opera- (SHOUTCAST)The ability to host your own website or Music server (radiostation)- (Vibestreamer)The ability to host your own mp3 server to any computer in the world.It's still in Beta, and it's brand new technology open sourced to new developers. So, the real shit it will be able to do will be coming shortly. This is one of the beta Programs:OPERA UNITE JUKEBOX"The Opera Unite Jukebox will let me choose 10 songs from my collection and put it in the queue, and all 8 of my friends who are connected to me (via Opera Unite) will do the same. In doing so, we create a virtual jukebox that contains the songs we’ve all selected. The jukebox will then play the songs to all of us (in random order), creating a shared listening experience. It’s sort of like online radio but with a social component, harking back to the days of going to a friend’s house to listen to records/tapes/CDs together. It’d be great for get-togethers too, allowing everyone to be the party DJ.Additional application features might include:On-the-fly ranking of songs so you can see which of your friends has the best (or worst) taste in music, as agreed upon by all of youA small window displaying relevant track, album, or purchasing info that’s pulled from the Web as each song is playedA built-in chat box so you can discuss each other’s music as you’re listening to it" - spidey

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The banner ad = google chrome.

I just want to know what happened to that William Gibson
    shit, man. Aren't we all supposed to be wearing goggles by now?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I've been interested to see how ISP's that don't allow servers for residential service will react to this.

Isn't there a plug-in for firebox that makes FF a server already?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    IMO Opera just invented something thats going to shake up alot of companies.

This is going to be competing against Google Wave. It's going to be competing with Firefoxes POW.

I'm interested in which developers will be jumping on board. Also how Opera is going to be incorporating this with there built in BIT torrent services.

I can imagine in one day being able to host my own private (password encrypted)film website ran from my computer hosting torrents of all the dvds on my computer from my web browser.

- spidey

Google Wave.

I'm waiting for that shit. That's gonna be big. Rumors are flying it's gonna open to the public soon.

Opps.. My bad.. I was talking about Google Voice. For some reason I was thinking voice instead of wave.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I just want to know what happened to that William Gibson
    shit, man. Aren't we all supposed to be wearing goggles by now?

mirrorshades I think

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Opps.. My bad.. I was talking about Google Voice. For some reason I was thinking voice instead of wave.

I'm sure google voice and wave will soon join up with Gmail. Definitly going to be a dominating force in technology.

Opera unite is more in the step of building on the idea of filesharing in 2010 and where it should be heading.

- spidey

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Is there anything to recommend this browser if I have no interest in any of those features?