Should These Be Reissued?

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I know nothing about doing reissues.I am talking to the copywrite holder of these sounds and they are interested me helping them with reissues.I know some of you have done this before, what advice would you give me?Should they be remastered/remixed?Should we boost bass and drums in the remastering? (These are short low quality rm files, so don't base your answer on what you hear here.)How should we distribute them?If we use Scorpio, will we ever be paid?CD or LP?Should we do a remix project with famous/soulstrut djs?What should I get paid for selecting tracks and guiding the project? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Thanking You In AdvanceDan

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I know nothing about doing reissues.

I am talking to the copywrite holder of these sounds and they are interested me helping them with reissues.

I know some of you have done this before, what advice would you give me?

Should they be remastered/remixed?
    Should we boost bass and drums in the remastering? (These are short low quality rm files, so don't base your answer on what you hear here.)
    How should we distribute them?
    If we use Scorpio, will we ever be paid?
    CD or LP?
    Should we do a remix project with famous/soulstrut djs?
    What should I get paid for selecting tracks and guiding the project?

Thanking You In Advance
    Dan

I haven't listened to these songs yet, my computer messes up when I play RealAudio. Remixing? No. Even if multi-tracks are available, don't. Remastered, definitely. If masters are readily available, I would definitely remaster them in the best way possible. I think releasing them on vinyl is viable, but people want the CD as well. There are enough online outlets that would help make it sell, and word of mouth here would also help too.

As far as distribution, you may want to work with one or two distributors, especially those who have a good reputation. I don't know if Groove Distribution in Chicago is around anymore, but they sold one of my 12" singles fairly fast.

I have never been an executive producer or "project collaborator", but it's something I've always wanted to do, so I don't know what kind of fees would be involved in doing that.

• legendlegend 124 Posts
    I don't know if Groove Distribution in Chicago is around anymore, but they sold one of my 12" singles fairly fast.

they are still around. 888-476-6834

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks John.

Is it safe to assume that no one thinks much of these sounds, and I should recommend against reissue?

• Thanks John.

Is it safe to assume that no one thinks much of these sounds, and I should recommend against reissue?

i really wasn't feeling em

i have been going through this same thing, my friend has these old studio recordings of his dads band from the early 80's and iam lovin them, i think their worthy for release but i think the only people that would buy it are those crazy japanese, i think they are the only ones that love early 80s jazz dance shit, not much of a market for that shit in the states

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    Should they be remastered/remixed? [/b] Yes and YES.

Should we boost bass and drums in the remastering? [/b] Yes.

How should we distribute them? [/b] Pass.

If we use Scorpio, will we ever be paid? [/b] Can I phone a friend?

CD or LP? [/b] LP

Should we do a remix project with famous/soulstrut djs? [/b] HELL FUCKING YES. Those tracks were pretty cheesy, and would need some remixing to get:

What should I get paid for selecting tracks and guiding the project? [/b] Pass.

Where do I sign up as a remixer?

Should they be remastered/remixed? [/b] Yes and YES.
    Should we boost bass and drums in the remastering? [/b] Yes.
    How should we distribute them? [/b] Pass.
    If we use Scorpio, will we ever be paid? [/b] Can I phone a friend?
    CD or LP? [/b] LP
    Should we do a remix project with famous/soulstrut djs? [/b] HELL FUCKING YES. Those tracks were pretty cheesy, and would need some remixing to get:
    What should I get paid for selecting tracks and guiding the project? [/b] Pass.

Where do I sign up as a remixer?

Thanks, thats what I want to hear. The tracks are very cheesy, and I love cheese. These are from an Asian organ player. Definetly closer to Claus Wunderlich than Ruben Wilson.

Dan

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I don't know if Groove Distribution in Chicago is around anymore, but they sold one of my 12" singles fairly fast.

dan, if you're in need my partner is best buddies with dirk @ groove. say the word and you're connected!

Thanks John.

I wasn't able to take a listen, because my computer messes up when it plays RealAudio. I'd still like to take a listen, though.

dan, if you're in need my partner is best buddies with dirk @ groove. say the word and you're connected!

Dirk is whom I went through. Good guy.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Dan, for what it's worth, I wouldn't spend any money to get those tracks with the possible exception of #4. It's way to corny for me.

Dan, for what it's worth, I wouldn't spend any money to get those tracks with the possible exception of #4. It's way to corny for me.

Damn, corny? I have to hear this.

Thank you. 362 looks and no positive feedback. I know I like this stuff, and others have bought his records from me and seem to like it. But I think it comes down to exotica breaks are not very popular.

Dan

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Go for it Dan.