IRA-R question / Hunger - dir S McQueen - Movie-R

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I finally saw this and it is nothing short of amazing.SPOILERSI do have a question about a scene in the film; is anyone familiar with Maze Prison and/or Bobby Sands' story? The scene where the prisoners have to go through a line of riot police as they are beaten - would this have been actual conduct or McQueen taking artistic license?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,788 Posts
    I'd believe it. Heard of worse.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I believe it, too, but it is a point of disagreement with a friend who also watched the film so I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure or can point me to a book about it. I can't find anything after some searches and reading numerous books about this catastrophe is on a long list of reading about other abuses.
    It such a specific tactic, I can't help but think it happened.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I had a rip of this movie, the hunger strikes always fascinated me a great deal. Knowing about the subject matter and the extent of the brutality meant I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

It wouldn't suprise me at all. The Irish in general were considered sub-human and they wanted to break the hunger strikers at all costs. If anything it would have been toned down so people could actually watch it.