Labels that Mix Certain Instruments the Best?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,Most of us are record collectors that have listened to a grip of LPs, labels, etc. I notice in my listening, I have certain labels that mix certain instruments in a way that appeal to me. Here are some of my favorite examples:1. Drums: Cadet/Chess (hard-hittin').2. Bass: Brunswick (nice and heavy; great for sampling and filtering).3. Horns: Columbia/CBS (crisp and bright).4. Electric Piano: CTI (warm yet distinct).5. Acoustic Piano: Atlantic (strong and prominent on the jazz sides).6. Vibes: Blue Note (nicely blended in the mix).Do you have any preferences like these or others? Please add on.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• Blue Note - Horns...

Van Gelder had a real talent for capturing front line sound, bringing together trumpet/tenor, two saxes, listen to any of the great Lee Morgan or Hank Mobley dates.

Cadet - Strings

Soulful Strings, need I say more???

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Sun Records got good sound on the drums (slapback echo and a drum kit are an incredible combination)

and I can think of one label that mixed certain instruments the worst...Stax.

On several of their sixties sides, when they were distributed by Atlantic (up through 1968), they didn't bring out the vocals clearly enough...this is really obvious with Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, and Albert King

the only reason why Otis' voice came out so distinct in "Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay" is because Jerry Wexler told Steve Cropper to go back and remix it

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Not to get overly specific, but the snare drum on Hi Records. Of course, I'm feeling the drums in general, but Willie Mitchell snares man.

I had a rock engineer once tell they sucked cause they were too low and thuddy. GTFOHWTBS...

While I'm being overly specific about drums, I'll also add Van Gelders ride cymbal, always floating, just above yet completely part of the mix. NEVER harsh..

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    trax records: 808 Drums

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Van Gelder any label

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    Van Gelder any label

peace, stein. . .

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    This is why we're lucky that RVG has been able to remaster his own projects in recent years.

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    All the late '60s/early '70s stuff on Chrysalis and Harvest seemed to have that dope, post-Mitch Mitchell crunchy Ludwig drum sound.

• Hey,

Most of us are record collectors that have listened to a grip of LPs, labels, etc. I notice in my listening, I have certain labels that mix certain instruments in a way that appeal to me. Here are some of my favorite examples:

1. Drums: Cadet/Chess (hard-hittin').
    2. Bass: Brunswick (nice and heavy; great for sampling and filtering).
    3. Horns: Columbia/CBS (crisp and bright).
    4. Electric Piano: CTI (warm yet distinct).
    5. Acoustic Piano: Atlantic (strong and prominent on the jazz sides).
    6. Vibes: Blue Note (nicely blended in the mix).

Do you have any preferences like these or others? Please add on.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I love drum breaks from ECM. ALways super crispy and airy. Problem is a decent solid drum break is not so common on ECM (at least from the 20 or 30 that I've checked). Ralph Towner's Solsctice has an outrageously good break.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    All the late '60s/early '70s stuff on Chrysalis and Harvest seemed to have that dope, post-Mitch Mitchell crunchy Ludwig drum sound.

It's the anti-pillow movement.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I love the way the hi-hats on a lot of Lee Perry's Black Ark era productions sound. Lo-fi as hell but they are just evil sounding on top of those spacey grooves.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Hi - Horn Sections.
    I love the off in the distant sound Willie Mitchell had.

I often prefer a muddled mix, like stax as described above, and Motown.