Do You Have Any Friends Or Family in a cult?

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
In an other thread I mentioned that I knew people in Arica and later EST. Those cults are more like Amway than some Jim Jones cult. I had a landlord who was a Sciencetologist. In high school I had one friend who became Hari Krishna, shaved his head and started chanting on the street. Gave me a Bahagavita. Another high school friend joined the Moonies. He was already unstable. I don't know anyone in any cults today. Peace, Dan

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    no, but good question!

peace, stein. . .

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I regularly post on this listserv called Soulstrut. We'll... it's just too sordid to go into here....

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    there is no dana only zuul...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    one of my ex-gf's had a brother that was in a cult and the family basically had to hire a deprogrammer and they kidnapped his ass back from the cult and held him captive until the process was complete. i didnt really ask much about it but it seemed rather traumatizing. the dude seems somewhat fine now, but then again, i didnt know him before he was in the cult.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    On a more serious (sort of) note I worked for a Rajneesh youth hostel in Amsterdam back in 1985. It was called the Wu Wei and was on a boat off the Prins Hendrikkade (near Central Station). It was owned by a Rajneesh couple- an Italian woman named Vaduda who was one of the original followers of the Baghwan and was convinced she'd been a witch in the Black Forest in her past life and who had black (really black) eyes and hair and was super intense and her husband, a super mellow German guy whose name escapes me. She'd scream at me and then her husband would say "don't worry about it" and buy me a beer.
    I worked there for three months as a runner which meant I brought tourists back from the train station. It was great watching people's reactions when I brought them back to (1) a boat and (2) a boat managed by a couple wearing orange robes. Once an English girl staying at the hostel got into a cat fight in the lobby with Vaduda. Tomato juice got poured over Vaduda's head and some hair pulling ensued.
    The Rajneesh also had a disco in Amsterdam at the time called Zorba the Buddha which was actually a pretty decent club but was quite bizarre in that half the clientele wore robes while the other half did not.
    I never got recruited thank god.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    On a more serious (sort of) note I worked for a Rajneesh youth hostel in Amsterdam back in 1985. It was called the Wu Wei and was on a boat off the Prins Hendrikkade (near Central Station). It was owned by a Rajneesh couple- an Italian woman named Vaduda who was one of the original followers of the Baghwan and was convinced she'd been a witch in the Black Forest in her past life and who had black (really black) eyes and hair and was super intense and her husband, a super mellow German guy whose name escapes me. She'd scream at me and then her husband would say "don't worry about it" and buy me a beer.
    I worked there for three months as a runner which meant I brought tourists back from the train station. It was great watching people's reactions when I brought them back to (1) a boat and (2) a boat managed by a couple wearing orange robes. Once an English girl staying at the hostel got into a cat fight in the lobby with Vaduda. Tomato juice got poured over Vaduda's head and some hair pulling ensued.
    The Rajneesh also had a disco in Amsterdam at the time called Zorba the Buddha which was actually a pretty decent club but was quite bizarre in that half the clientele wore robes while the other half did not.

The Baghwan lived in Oregon in the late 70s early 80s and OR WA was a wash in brightly dressed followers.
    The Baghwan and his followers went a little nuts, armed themselves, started planning attacks on the locals. Tales of sex, cars, money and guns were swirling around. He finally got deported before anything to bad happened.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    My little sister is a texas baptist.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

The Baghwan lived in Oregon in the late 70s early 80s and OR WA was a wash in brightly dressed followers.
    The Baghwan and his followers went a little nuts, armed themselves, started planning attacks on the locals. Tales of sex, cars, money and guns were swirling around. He finally got deported before anything to bad happened.

see this is why i am mad at Osho, i love to wear clashing red and orange together and i don't want to be mistaken as Rajneeshi

the man had a fleet of rolls-royce's, how blind can you be? he was having orgies and swimming in money. duh.

on a related note i have a close friend who is caught up in a money pyramid scheme right now and i warned her not to partake in it and i couldn't believe she was into it, she's a surgeon and a very pragmatic person, and now, after 8 months she is beginning to realize that maybe she shouldn't have done it and that it's shady as hell.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I should have mentioned my SIL sells Meluleuka which is a cult like product.
    She is also Evangelical, not that there is anything wrong with that.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Vaduda

Some names are perfect.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    cult chicks are hot.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts

bustin' makes me feel good!

peace, stein. . .

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

bustin' makes me feel good!