Howlin' Wolf - Pop It To Me

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
My fellow DJ Brother Wayne is playing this on the air right now ... holy shit!Never heard this before, it's Howlin' Wolf over the track to Syl Johnson's "Sock it To Me" even using almost the same chorus!So, there's this, the Syl J, and the Deacons instro ... any other tracks cutover this same track? Definitely the most "soul" track I've heard from the Wolf ...

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I just wanted to apologize to the community for trying to talk about records

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    sounds good any way to hear this

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I just wanted to apologize to the community for trying to talk about records

just pm pickick33 from now on

• I just wanted to apologize to the community for trying to talk about records

Sorry. I was too busy buying a copy to respond in a timely fashion...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Hey, I'll keep the music talk going...

Howlin' Wolf doing soul music is so weird that it works! I'm currently on the lookout for Message To The Young, which was to Wolf what On The Corner was for Miles Davis - an attempt to get that Soul Train crowd

Hey, I'll keep the music talk going...

Howlin' Wolf doing soul music is so weird that it works! I'm currently on the lookout for Message To The Young, which was to Wolf what On The Corner was for Miles Davis - an attempt to get that Soul Train crowd

I have this album, and it seems more an attempt to get to the Woodstock crowd
    (for lack of a better term) than the Soul Train set ... socially conscious lyrics
    over music more along the lines of his Cadet Concept album, although not as
    hard-rock styled. This single I'm talking about, and apparently a couple more
    from the same period, are more his attempt to crossover into the "soul" market.
    The song is cool, but his voice kind of stays in the blues tempo, not really
    willing to sock it out there soul-shouter style, as the track demands.

La**y, did you really go find a copy based on this thread? If so, I consider it a success

... also, I don't have the record myself to post,
    but it can be heard at just around 20:05 of this audio stream:

http://wmbr.org/m3u/Lost_and_Found_20090610_1200.m3u

It's the show I heard it on myself, in fact I'm standing in studio while it
    plays, and if you listen carefully you can hear my jaw drop when Wolf starts
    singing.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    according to his sessionography:

June 1967 Chess Studios, Chicago

Howlin Wolf:Vocal Harmonica
    Eddie Shaw:Tenor Sax
    Unknown:Piano/organ
    Hubert Sumlin:Guitar
    Cassell Burrow:Drums
    Bob Anderson:Bass

"Pop it to me" (Chess 2009)
    "I Had a dream"(Chess 2009)
    "Dust my Broom"

Ive had "Pop it to me" for quite a few years and have played it out tons of times, sounds great loud through the PA...

• Hey, I'll keep the music talk going...

I have this album, and it seems more an attempt to get to the Woodstock crowd
    (for lack of a better term) than the Soul Train set ... socially conscious lyrics
    over music more along the lines of his Cadet Concept album, although not as
    hard-rock styled. This single I'm talking about, and apparently a couple more

La**y, did you really go find a copy based on this thread? If so, I consider it a success

I became the proud owner of said 45 within 60 seconds of reading your post. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah! I love that song, and the though of Wolf singing it (or a version thereof) was too much to resist.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I have this album, and it seems more an attempt to get to the Woodstock crowd (for lack of a better term) than the Soul Train set ... socially conscious lyrics over music more along the lines of his Cadet Concept album, although not as
    hard-rock styled.

I don't have it, but I've heard it...when I was needle-dropping the copy at a local college station, it sounded "fonkier" than that psych album he did (a/k/a "This Is Howlin' Wolf's New Album. He Doesn't Like It").

This single I'm talking about, and apparently a couple more

I know. The guy I DJ with spins this fairly often. When he cuts loose with a "howl" ("whoa-hoooo"), it sounds so misplaced. But then again, that's what makes it so great.

Ever hear that supersession album he did with Bo Diddley and Muddy Waters, where they're all sitting around in the studio, clowning each other and singing each others' songs? The sound of Howlin' Wolf chanting "Diddley Diddley daddy, bring it on home" sounds truly bizarre...