Nicola Conte - Italo Jazz

bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Any strutters out there fans of the Italian Jazz sounds of Nicola Conte? I really enjoyed his first album (Bossa Per Due/Jet Sounds) and all his remixes. I was wondering what album to get next? I know he has moved on to a more organic, live sound (less electronic). If you had to choose one, would it be the 2004 album Other Directions on Blue Note France or Rituals which came out last year on Schema? I am leaning towards Rituals based solely on the fact that Jose James does some vocals on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    For me, the Bossa Per Due/Jet set business was his best work. It went well with all that Bobby Hughes Experience sound, Jazzanova, Kyoto Jazz Massive etc.

If I had to choose between Other Directions and Rituals, I would go with Rituals.

My $0.02

• I ride for it. I like Rituals better. Have you checked out Five Corners Quintet? they are spot on modern dancefloor jazz as well.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    His Bossa Nova stuff is real nice.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    Have you checked out Five Corners Quintet? they are spot on modern dancefloor jazz as well.
    Kinda off-topic, but I also really like this record and sound in general.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    If you like Five Corners Quintet, you might also want to check for Quasimode or stuff off the Impossible Ark label.

http://www.discogs.com/label/Impossible+Ark+Records

Here's a Conte rmx I really like. I haven't listened to it in ages but I recall the rhythm being lifted from the Tenorio Jr record. Will have to double check when I'm back home.

http://www.discogs.com/Eli-Goulart-E-Banda-Do-Mato-Meu-Samba/release/869341

• Options
    Along these lines, Plumstead Radical Club (Impossible Ark) is dope, especially the tracks "The Coast Is Clear" and "One Way".

Co-signage on Quasimode, Soil N Pimp Sessions, and other dope Japanese jazz sounds. Timo Lassy, 5 Corners Quintet, Juka Eskola (sp?), Teddy Rok/Stance Brothers and other modern scandinavian jazz. There's a whole bunch more I'm missing.

All sounds worth checking out for Nicola Conte fans.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Somewhat related and I think on the same label as Five Corners Quintet, this album was dope:

• Somewhat related and I think on the same label as Five Corners Quintet, this album was dope:

yes, he's the drummer. 2 of the finest are Jukka Eskola and Timo Lassy 12's/albums. fire.

also from Japan check sunaga t experience and native.

the 10" from the rituals lp has some real nice alternate versions from the lp.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    this be my shite

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Nicola Conte is dope. I ride for his bossa stuff as well. Whats the album/single with him reclining on a set of stairs ? the name escapes me that's my favourite. Massive dance floor jazz

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Somewhat related and I think on the same label as Five Corners Quintet, this album was dope:

This guy is also in the Stance Brothers. It's more funk related but he's a great drummer to listen to...and to watch!

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    Indeed, Teddy Rok is a great drummer. I love the stuff he did on Timo Lassy's album. Timo Lassy, who plays saxophone in The Five Corners Quintet (check their latest 10" with music for a finnish theatre version of Othello), just recorded his newest album and I think Jose James makes an appearance on that.

Their label is Ricky Tick: www.ricky-tick.com. That label put out two comps on the scandinavian jazz scene from the 60s, which are both really great and absolutely recommended for every jazz fan.

To come back to Nicola Conte: I have the two volumes of Other Directions, and I heard Rituals briefly, but Ritual really didn't do much for me. Other Directions is great, if you want to give it a try, start with the tracks 'A Time For Spring', 'The Dharma Bums' and 'Wanin' Moon'.