The Jackson 5ive VS. The Jacksons

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
vs I know it might be sacralidge but.....The J5 started to "peeter out" w/ the general public by the 3rd album.I ride for the most of the catalog, but by '72 shit was goin downhill.The jump to CBS/Epic had them paired up w/ Gamble & Huff and then went on to produce their own shit which is brilliant in my book.Motown - Diana Ross Presents - Moving ViolationCBS/Epic - The Jacksons - Victory....Steeltown,2300 Jackson St,Boogie, and Joyful Jukebox Music omitted.5/6 years each run.Jermaine was important..IMO....BUT.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I ride for the 5ive.

Couple things:

1) I'd say they began to peter out with the public in '73, somewhere between Skywriter and Get It Together...they weren't the ***it*** group they were in 1970-71 (and Michael's voice was changing), but they were still selling records ("Dancing Machine" was MASSIVE; you couldn't get away from that record in '74).

2) I give Motown credit for gradually steering them away from the bubblegum formula, starting around '72. The harmonies on "Looking Through The Windows" and "Skywriter" were quite sophisticated compared to, say, "ABC."

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Also...listen to side 2 of the Goin' Back To Indiana TV soundtrack...the J5 were a TIGHT live act (with a drummer and keyboardist added to the basic lineup). "Walk On" is just raw enough for a Keb Darge funk compilation.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

1) I'd say they began to peter out with the public in '73, somewhere between Skywriter and Get It Together...they weren't the ***it*** group they were in 1970-71 (and Michael's voice was changing), but they were still selling records ("Dancing Machine" was MASSIVE; you couldn't get away from that record in '74).

2) I give Motown credit for gradually steering them away from the bubblegum formula, starting around '72. The harmonies on "Looking Through The Windows" and "Skywriter" were quite sophisticated compared to, say, "ABC."

Yeah Get It Together is where Dancin Machine came from and then they shaped they re-upped the song for Dancin Machine the LP. That was a Birthday Party STAPLE as a kid.

G.I.T. is a good execution of Psychedelic Soul on J5's part. Tito smoking doobies.