Women, I NEED You...

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
What did you like when you were twelve?
What's generally cool and fun for a pre teen miss?
What's idyllic about NY for teen chicks?

(No, I'm not trying to hook up with a grade school chick.)

We're flying my niece out for a week. She's twelve, never been to New York, and is deep in her "whatever" phase. I was on the phone with her for an hour this weekend, chatting about the trip, and she answered every question with a half-hearted, "I don't care" or "That sounds fine." I feel for my mom. Damn, teenagers are rough.

I did manage to wrangle a few facts out of her. She is into knitting (so I got the dope yarn spots on lock), she kinda wants to see the American Girl store on Fifth Avenue (but made it clear to me that her doll collection is now "in the closet" (no R. Kelly)), she's saved $200 for the trip -- which her dad agreed to match -- so she's got 4 c-notes to blow on "whatever."

We plan on doing tourist shit: Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Coney Island, museums, pizza, etc. We're going to the beach, and we're gonna see M.I.A. and Diplo in Central Park on Sunday (her mom catches her singing along to Neva Scared, and last winter she told me, "My favorite 45 is 'Iron Man.'" Kids these days?).

I want this to be her hecka cool vacation with Uncle Bam. I'm sure once she gets here it will be easier to see what she responds to and what bores her to death, but I thought some of you may have some advice. Obviously, the first day I'll show her around my record room, get her familiar with labels, help her distinguish OGs from reissues, and then we'll hit the shops. I'll show her how to dig, and hopefully she'll be into it [color:white]-- I AM TOTALLY JOKING, THERE WON'T BE ANY CHILD LABOR DIGGING ON THIS TRIP --[/color] after seeing how her Uncle digs. Lineage, feel me? "Teach the children."

So help me, plaese. Ladies, NY natives, people with teenagers...
I want to have a back-up plan.

Picture me givin a damn...[/b]

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    im no woman ( ) but it sounds like you got your shit on LOCK.

i dont really know how "cultural" she is, but i would definately expose her to some interesting eats while shes in town, who knows what she has or hasn't tried, so maybe let her get a taste of some new foods while shes in the big NY.

good luck.

• my sister was 13 or so when she would come to visit while i was at school - the kind of sensory overload NYC stuff (chinatown, little italy, etc) was always a big hit.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    hard to say,
    12 year olds have varied interests
    mine liked 57th st & broadway,
    lil italy & chinatown for the classic nyc-ness
    but
    the LES is what she was into the most
    nice mix of old & new, kool shops, parks
    not as nitty gritty as when i was 12
    but the village east & south is 12 year old hip
    "this is where i would live in the city"
    +
    "this is more real than 57th street"
    are 2 quotes i remember
    from that trip
    i think she also had a krush on kush @ jammyland

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    my sister was 13 or so when she would come to visit while i was at school - the kind of sensory overload NYC stuff (chinatown, little italy, etc) was always a big hit.

What's up with her getting a guest spot on EVR? That'd be a big hit, dog.

Yo, Mark Ransom should be on in a few minutes, but here's "Iron Man" one more time!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    she kinda wants to see the American Girl store on Fifth Avenue (but made it clear to me that her doll collection is now "in the closet" (no R. Kelly)), she's saved $200 for the trip -- which her dad agreed to match -- so she's got 4 c-notes to blow on "whatever."

I guarantee you this means she really wants to go to this store!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Bam, you surprise me everyday! Looks like you got shit on lock. One thing my girl always reminds me about kids is to treat them like adults. They respond to respect and shit instead of been looked at like little nobodys. I believe her too since she's worked with kids for most of her life.

I think what's been listed here is solid. Get some good cultural shit in there. Natural History Museaum (if it's not under construction anymore) will be a big hit. Statue of Liberty, chinatown, the village etc. Maybe a play if it fits in the schedule. Coney island for the experience maybe. Good luck.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Plus, see if she wants to do any of the teen shit. Stand outside of TRL and scream at Eminem, shit like that. I remember being that age and all I wanted to do on vacation was be around kids my age. Plus the whole "seeing someone famous" bragging rights factor is pretty big for junior high kids.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Maybe a play if it fits in the schedule. Coney island for the experience maybe. Good luck.
    take her to see a ballet at the MET. you really cant go wrong with a life experience like that. maybe an imax movie at lincoln center. a yankee game, or even a cyclones game. staten island ferry. brooklyn bridge at night. riverside drive and the hudson. carroll gardens. you know.

dont know much about kids. all i gotta say is...
    Women, I NEED You...
    Women, I NEED You...
    Women, I NEED You...
    Women, I NEED You...
    Women, I NEED You...
    Women, I NEED You...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Plus the whole "knowing someone famous" bragging rights factor is pretty big for grown ass grown asses.

Q-vo, Bam!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I forgot about MTV. That's a big deal.

Plus the whole "seeing someone famous" bragging rights factor is pretty big for junior high kids.

OHMIGOD! We were inside Cosmo Baker's house today, I mean, totally, like, IN HIS HOUSE, his wife was there and she is like totally nice and smart and knows all the words to that Amerie song, and then we went to Good Records, and Bob Bannister totally called someone a fag -- right to his face, and Jonny from Soul Purpose was there, he had a HUGE stack of money, and Jake One was buying slaps -- OHMIGOD, then we went to TSL and saw Jared, he's taller than he was in that Madlib video, it was cool, and Uncle Bam taught me how to give a pound, and everyone in New York totally calls eachother "sun."

One thing my girl always reminds me about kids is to treat them like adults. They respond to respect and shit instead of been looked at like little nobodys.

Indeed. I hope to make her feel like she can be free of the whole "parental" thing while she's here, and get a little taste of independent adult life. Make her own decisions about what she wants to do and how she wants to spend her money (within reason, obviously).

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Make her own decisions about what she wants to do and how she wants to spend her money (within reason, obviously).

I know a certain Ethiopian Record that would be a great investment of her savings.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Make her own decisions about what she wants to do and how she wants to spend her money (within reason, obviously).

"Uncle Bam, Where can I get that good NYC white sheyat?"

• Make her own decisions about what she wants to do and how she wants to spend her money (within reason, obviously).

"Uncle Bam, Where can I get that good NYC white sheyat?"

Holding up a record during Show and Tell on her first week back at school, she solemnly states:

His name was Amiri Baraka and he had no love for the white devil.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    OHMIGOD! We were inside Cosmo Baker's house today, I mean, totally, like, IN HIS HOUSE, his wife was there and she is like totally nice and smart and knows all the words to that Amerie song, and then we went to Good Records, and Bob Bannister totally called someone a fag -- right to his face, and Jonny from Soul Purpose was there, he had a HUGE stack of money, and Jake One was buying slaps -- OHMIGOD, then we went to TSL and saw Jared, he's taller than he was in that Madlib video, it was cool, and Uncle Bam taught me how to give a pound, and everyone in New York totally calls eachother "sun."
    killing it.

• What's up Bam -

What about a trip to the Brooklyn Cyclone (not the team but the rollercoaster)...

or a ferry trip around the harbour or just the free-one to Staten Island...

Dress

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sorry, still no women.

The first, and best, thing I did when my niece (16) visited was plug her ipod into the computer speakers. We all talked about how great her music was, she picked tracks for us to listen to. It kept her from isolating herself, and let us engage her about things she really likes.

The next good music thing I did was give her a stack of 45s and set her in front of the portable. Of course she knew nothing about picking up a tone arm and putting it on a record, but she learned, it ain't rocket science.

THe other good thing was talking about movies, then going to the rental and she picked some she wanted us to see, and we picked some we wanted her to see. Might work better with a 16yo than 12. She picked Napolian Dynamite and Mean Girls, we picked High Fidelity (the story of my life) and Muriels Wedding (she likes Abba).

The biggest mistake we made was thinking she would like things we like.

American Girl has a great line of books. They have lots of activities books that are fun, plus they have great historical fictions. You wouldn't thing a doll company would publish good books, but they do.

My friends are in NYC now with their kids. The one thing I have heard that was a hit was FAO Schwartz.