San Diego.....record spots and food

MicOneMicOne 23 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Yo S.D. strutters......I'm heading down to San Diego on August 9-12. Do you reccomend any records spots, food joints or parties? Let a playa know the deal!

Comments

• no, no food in diego ( rekkurdz every blok ). aTRY KADER!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    KADER got heat. I got doo doo braekz and cheap crap. Rec City, Off Record, Lou's. Food rulez. Surf and sand. Ladies in PB. Hipsters in North Park. Dizzy got EZ. SD forever, NYC kicking my ass.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    in the spirit of giving out the good spots, but not the great ones, i'll say Record City in Hillcrest... everything there is priced fairly, and they have sales all the time... i've pulled some nice things out of there, everything from the Black Flag "licorice pizza" live 7" to johnny cash on sun for cheap, to howard tate's atlantic LP, mint promo copy for 8 bucks...

my fav taco stand is La Posta de Acapulco on Washington St. in Mission Hills...

also, if you're having "real pizza withdrawal" (all too possible in So. Cal.), Bronx Pizza right next door is legit...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• hit me up @ M-Theory (2234 30th St. 92104, google that shit) and rep the strut. We got some shit (electro and late '80s hip hop 12"s in right now).

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    also giving out good, but not great ones (mainly because great spots don't really exist in san diego...kinda culturally dead)...

-nickelodeon records in normal heights (??? i believe). right next to "lestat's coffee"...a quaint little store that stocks some alright stuff for fair prices.

-tasha's music on ninth street, i believe, near downtown. it's a non-descript building with a sign that just reads "music". to paraphrase another thread, it's run by one of those guys who always has his buddies over, chainsmokes inside the store, probably obsessed with doo-wop and there's never any music on, always talk radio or sports. anyway, he's got a huge collection of stuff, fairly priced, but not much raer (or at least nothing i was looking for).

foodwise, i dunno. it's mostly mexican food down here. check out phil's bbq in mission hills. good ribs.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I had a fantastic Pork Loin sandwich at the Cheese Shop on 4th north of the Hooters (errr.....North of where I've _heard_ there's a Hooters). I have been pretty burnt out on food, but this sandwich brought me back to life for a few hours. I was telling complete strangers about it.

ato paraphrase another thread, it's run by one of those guys who always has his buddies over, chainsmokes inside the store, probably obsessed with doo-wop and there's never any music on, always talk radio or sports.

thank you...

-nickelodeon records in normal heights (??? i believe). right next to "lestat's coffee"...a quaint little store that stocks some alright stuff for fair prices.

on adams ave?

the thing i miss most about SD is the sheer amount of derelict movie theatres... most of 'em art deco...

yes

that place makes me barf a little everytime the ladies waddle over and tell me mom's apple pie is $20. To them, I say "fuk you" cos my man Dstill pulls HEATROCKs out of there cos he knows the time. Damn you dudes are too hard for me. Those ladie show up at spots at 10am and buy nothing for their store.

tasha's is da bomb for promos, lol. no the dude has been cleaned out and puts out old dusty records as new arrivals. I say fuk him, although I pulled only like 2 things out of there in the past 5 years, lol. He will make you feel like a piece of poop.

I'm going to PA, see you later batches. Watch out RAJ, lol.

• my fav taco stand is La Posta de Acapulco on Washington St. in Mission Hills...

ive never heard anyone call it that. usually just la posta or la posta n8 [pronounced la posta nate].

• check out phil's bbq in mission hills. good ribs.

Good ribs indeed. Call ahead though or you will be standing around for a while.

my fav taco stand is La Posta de Acapulco on Washington St. in Mission Hills...

ive never heard anyone call it that. usually just la posta or la posta n8 [pronounced la posta nate].

thank god you posted this...

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    La Posta is good also if in Clairmont Lolita's for fast mex... and Tea Station for the bomb Boba drinks!

If by the beach nortside peep Juanita's for the mex and Lous Records... Or Pizza Port in Solana or Carlsbad

Hit Kader up

If in Chula Vista hit up La Bella's for italian and El gordo for TJ Taco's Thirft Stores maybe AC&S LOL!!!

If in Mira Mesa and you want to drink hit up Callehan's 75% chance you'll see UndertheRadar their for Italian Capercio's...

In downtown catch a Padre game! Or the Strip Joint (I think that faked out CL Smooth when he was in town)!!!

Lots of other spots

For a Massage hit up Mylatency's 45 Girl massage parlor, "dude give the bomb massage's!"

For a party hit up Dizzybull!!!! & if your going to the beach hit up UndertheRadar the Dropknee Killer!

For Prime Rib & BOmb Sourdough you'll have to stay up in the bay for that!!!

Or if you want to find secret spots send me a PM... Barry Manilow Rocks the House!

edit reason:

names have been changed to protect the innocent

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    no, no food in diego ( rekkurdz every blok ). aTRY ALGARTH!

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    no, no food in diego ( rekkurdz every blok ). aTRY ALGARTH!

Hey your only alowed to sell records to me!

• Where's Kader at?

Where's Kader at?

Kader was in the hospital for a minute, from what I heard. Hope you're feeling better, hommie. I know you're reading this probably, right?

-Mark

Where's Kader at?

PS, welcome. Who R U? You reg'd in June and just started posting today???

La Posta is good also if in Clairmont Lolita's for fast mex... and Tea Station for the bomb Boba drinks!

If by the beach nortside peep Juanita's for the mex and Lous Records... Or Pizza Port in Solana or Carlsbad

Hit Kader up

If in Chula Vista hit up La Bella's for italian and El gordo for TJ Taco's Thirft Stores maybe AC&S LOL!!!

If in Mira Mesa and you want to drink hit up Callehan's 75% chance you'll see UndertheRadar their for Italian Capercio's...

In downtown catch a Padre game! Or the Strip Joint (I think that faked out CL Smooth when he was in town)!!!

Lots of other spots

For a Massage hit up Mylatency's 45 Girl massage parlor, "dude give the bomb massage's!"

For a party hit up Dizzybull!!!! & if your going to the beach hit up UndertheRadar the Dropknee Killer!

For Prime Rib & BOmb Sourdough you'll have to stay up in the bay for that!!!

Or if you want to find secret spots send me a PM... Barry Manilow Rocks the House!

This is the best breakdown of SD I've evar read. You're leaving out all the North County spots though, and I'm perfectly fine with leaving them off the radar.

• Hi Mark, been busy record shopping and didn't have much time for posting. I lived in San Diego for years, back when most of the action was in Downtown on Broadway and had not heard of Kader. Guess I wasn't paying attention. Recently got back from a digging trip to Florida.

I will post pictures and spots on another thread

• My top 3 food joints in Diego Bronx Pizza & Bread Co. in Hillcrest and Juanita Taco Shop in Leucadia Old HWY 101. Also, there is a dope hangout in North County called Calypso Cafe with live music. Tha Shit

true, bronx pizza is the only edible pizza in the SD area... (maybe "touch of italy")

• Juanita Taco Shop in Leucadia Old HWY 101.

One of my all time favorites!