You guyz who collect sampled records???

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I'm not knocking this, bitch - I have a few friends who do this & I totally respect their taste/musical knowledge, etc... But, I really can't wrap my mind around collecting records that have been sampled, because they have been sampled...Also, I might add that I know nothing about this, and as long as I can sell a shitty $5 for $25 on eBay beacuse I can list it as "BREAKS!!!" I'm fully supportive of this practice...Discuss...

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I have a few friends .....
    Discuss..

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I am the tall one...

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Why is it soooo hard to understand?

When you hear a good cover, doesn't it make you want to hear the OG?

Same with samples...

Why is soooo hard to understand?

Same with samples...

Explain Wet Willie?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    Why is soooo hard to understand?

Same with samples...

true, see what & how they flipped what they flipped, my fav part of this practice is the "THATS ALL THEY DID!"
    i guess if you dont understand it, look at a comparison like the sudden folkways phenom

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    there were a lot of great songs/artist i knew nothing about until they were listed as a sample credit/source

i guess if you dont understand it, look at a comparison like the sudden folkways phenom

Folkways is real hip-hop. Just because Anthony lost his mind and Meatyogre started buying every one on eBay does not make it a trend, damn it! Real Headz know!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    WARNING, PRIVATE MIND GARDEN ALERT!

WARNING, PRIVATE MIND GARDEN ALERT!

It's called "Candyland" now!!!

You guyz are a sorry excuse for the east coast "thugz not hugz" ghestapo...

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    To each his own I guess.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I am currently trying to collect all of the original magazines that Romare Bearden cut pictures out of for his 'pieces'.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I am currently trying to collect all of the original magazines that Romare Bearden cut pictures out of for his 'pieces'.

I know you are kidding, but I think that would be unbeliveably cool.

I know you are kidding, but I think that would be unbeliveably cool.

haha! I agree!

When I'm reading a good book, I make sure NOT to EVER refer to the listed references. That way, I can sustain my hipster(?) position as one who makes wise cracks at those would ever stoop to such low regions of reasoned curiosity.

When I'm reading a good book, I make sure NOT to EVER refer to the listed references. That way, I can sustain my hipster(?) position as one who makes wise cracks at those would ever stoop to such low regions of reasoned curiosity.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I'll say this. I started out diggin' because of my interest in finding stuff people sampled, but then the obsession grew into enjoying the artists and their artistry. I don't really care much about a sample anymore, except for really obscure things like what Ski used on Camp Lo's "How U Walkin'." It's not that obscure, but the fact he freaked some Pryor for a nice loop is fascinating to me.

It's cool to show hip-hop kiddies where stuff comes from, especially the ones that want to sell me beats. I can always find something else to talk about when I'm not interested in their product.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    Real Headz know!

you sure?

• I am the tall one...

"Y'know...I'm kinda like king of the dipshits...[/b]

Yes, I am such a hipster.

Hey, I like a good sample spot as the next doofus around here, but sometimes it gets a little silly. So does people's obsession with private press 'spiritual' jazz, so does folks' obsession over the minutae of Bay Area rap, so does everyone's little foibles and meltdowns over the craziest little trivia dealing with wax. And since a thread about this seemed comical to me to begin with, I figured I would add to the levity with a joke that, now that I think about it, was even more on point than usual for me.

And like Shig says, in reference to listed references, "I don't read books. Them shits are DUMB."

the sexy one with the necklace... that bastard get's all the chicks!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

You mean "RAJ"?

Hey, I like a good sample spot as the next doofus around here, but sometimes it gets a little silly. So does people's obsession with private press 'spiritual' jazz, so does folks' obsession over the minutae of Bay Area rap, so does everyone's little foibles and meltdowns over the craziest little trivia dealing with wax. And since a thread about this seemed comical to me to begin with, I figured I would add to the levity with a joke that, now that I think about it, was even more on point than usual for me.

And like Shig says, in reference to listed references, "I don't read books. Them shits are DUMB."

Yours was a good joke fasho. But of course people dig for samples. Been happening for decades now. It's hardly just a temporarily trendy practice. May question is this though: Why does every hater of samplespotters picture them ONLY digging for samples, ONLY listeing to music in 5 second spurts, ONLY overpaying for what seems to some as garbage...when that's hardly EVER the case?

You mean "RAJ"?

"oh snap", as the kiddies say...

Yours was a good joke fasho. But of course people dig for samples. Been happening for decades now. It's hardly just a temporarily trendy practice. May question is this though: Why does every hater of samplespotters picture them ONLY digging for samples, ONLY listeing to music in 5 second spurts, ONLY overpaying for what seems to some as garbage...when that's hardly EVER the case?

Somebody feels a little self conscience...

May question is this though: Why does every hater of samplespotters picture them ONLY digging for samples, ONLY listeing to music in 5 second spurts, ONLY overpaying for what seems to some as garbage...when that's hardly EVER the case?

I never thought that was ever the case before I hung around here for a few. I have seen a few posts that run in the direction of "oh, I am only after samples/loops/breaks", and when I did a weekend during the breakdown over at the-breaks or Stone's Throw, well, it seems like that's an admitted way of life over there. I ain't knocking it, just saying, those cats are out there.

I think the best summary I have seen of that phenomena was in DeeRock's interview in WaxPoetics, when he was like "I tell trendy kids all the time, when you get tired of this and want to sell your collection, call me!" He said they get pissed off, but when you are in the record game for more than a few years you see a lot of people just cashing in on a trend.