Holy smokes! (Matt Africa/DJ Quik-related).

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I haven't even heard this yet but I KNOW it's gonna be dope!http://matthewafrica.blogspot.com/2009/05/americaz-most-complete-artist.html Quik is my second favorite producer (next to Shock G). He is one of the few artists whose album I will buy every single time.*Cue hater @ss Daze' comments*

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

My favorite producer

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Awesome, I can't wait to hear this - Quik's music is perfect for the summer, and Matt Africa's mixes are always thorough.

Bonus beat: for all the DJ Quik fans on here, I finally got my hands on the Boss (of Def Jam fame) demo tape. Among the songs cut from her debut is "Gangsta Pussy" featuring Quik and 2nd II None, sounding like something off his first two albums:

Boss f. DJ Quik, 2nd II None - Gangsta Pussy (Demo, 1992)

• I remember hearing about Boss was actually a total fraud when it came to the whole gangster image she portrayed, but ever happened to ol' girl?

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Soundtrack for the summer. wow.

I get all in full on funk45 mode with my radio show, and a mix like this drags me back to the rap.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I remember hearing about Boss was actually a total fraud when it came to the whole gangster image she portrayed, but ever happened to ol' girl?

yeah she was some rich girl from Detroit I think.

I haven't even heard this yet but I KNOW it's gonna be dope!

http://matthewafrica.blogspot.com/2009/05/americaz-most-complete-artist.html

Quik is my second favorite producer (next to Shock G). He is one of the few artists whose album I will buy every single time.

*Cue hater @ss Daze' comments*

dude, I'm ALL about DJ Quik but god damn he is falling the F*ck OFF. That last album he did with AMG was a f*cking joke. He's out there talkin about he's got the "formula" after they put out that "can u work wit dat" bullshit song. PLUS he's sayin he doesn't wanna work with anyone that wants to stay doing that same old west coast sound cause he's evolved as an artist and yadda yadda...man F*ck that.

I celebrate his catalog all the way up to about a year ago. All this new garbage, mehhhh. that Kurupt song is f*ckin lame and the video is even worse.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    can u work with dat is a classic

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    u sound like u prefer your eggs and onions un-cheesy

can u work with dat is a classic

a classic? lol, I dunno about all that.

Born and Raised in Compton is a classic,
    Do I Love Her is a classic,
    Down Down Down is a classic,
    Dollaz and Sense is a classic,

can u work with dat was a cheesy radio track with a casio beat that sounds like Swizz Beats made it 10 years ago.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    beat is dope, raps are totally quotable

u sound afraid to toss it

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    & really, it sounds absolutely nothing like a swizz beat track -- if anything it sounds like snap, & btw didnt AMG do that beat anyway?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    "Let's Get Down" with Tony Toni Tone is one of the best evar R&B/Rap club hits. Still relevant to this day.

did he? I remember Quik saying in an interview that he was sick of doing complicated beats that noone appreciated and never getting a #1 song and that he was going to start doing simple tracks and make a whole album of hits. Made me not want to hear that album and then I did and I was sorry...it sucked.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ever notice its a Nirvana melody?

"Let's Get Down" with Tony Toni Tone is one of the best evar R&B/Rap club hits. Still relevant to this day.

YES! see that's the Quik I like. Funky soulful beats with real musicianship to them. Quik is a sick sick producer and I hate to see him stray from what he does best and put out shit that sounds like anyone could have done it. Dude had a sound, and he lost that for sure.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    did he? I remember Quik saying in an interview that he was sick of doing complicated beats that noone appreciated and never getting a #1 song and that he was going to start doing simple tracks and make a whole album of hits. Made me not want to hear that album and then I did and I was sorry...it sucked.
    i remember not feeling the album but part of the problem was it obviously hadnt been engineered/mixed down/mastered/whatever to his usual standards; the mix itself (leaked mp3s anyway) sounded like trash, purely from a sound engineering standpoint. basically all sounded unfinished. The single doesnt sound anything like that.

that said, nothing from that album sounds particularly 'simple' nor does that record sound anything like an 'album of hits,' rapping or beat-wise

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

YES! see that's the Quik I like. Funky soulful beats with real musicianship to them. Quik is a sick sick producer and I hate to see him stray from what he does best and put out shit that sounds like anyone could have done it. Dude had a sound, and he lost that for sure.
    he lost it or changed it? 'press play' off the snoop album & the stuff leaked off this new record sound like a new direction thats still really musical but hes doing a lot more with chopping up samples -- loved the isley sample on the former. i think hes just as talented as ever but we'll see if the new direction is a hit or a miss but i dont think there's anything to suggest he couldnt make a great record if he wanted to.

folks are so easy to talk about their favorite rappers/producers falling off & then just ignore them the rest of the way for doing something different. rhythmalism is a top ten rap record for me so dont get me wrong i love the sound of classic quik & i dont think that its about to get surpassed by his new record but that doesnt mean its going to be shitty either.

sometimes a person's career is over -- like whats the point in listening to busta rhymes in '09 -- but quik's got a much longer record of reinvention & staying interesting, both as a rapper & producer, than Busta has ever had. hes earned the benefit of the doubt

also these fixxers tracks on this mix sound better than i remember (musically anyway; sound-wise the hi hats still sound distorted & wack)

Hold up...I completely agree. I never said he COULDN'T knock out some bad ass shit...he just hasn't really lately. I believe entirely that he can and probably will again at some point. Quik is a strange dude, I've heard stories so he gets on one and he's just on one for a while but dude always comes back around.

I'll hold final judgment until the actual album drops but if that Do You Know? song is the lead single?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Man, I feel real bad about this but I'm one of those people who really slept on Quik beyond the obvious shit. Definitely appreciating this right now, thanks.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    do you know is amazing imo

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

tracklist for the BlaQKout album...I really do have high hopes.

1. BlaQKout 3:01
    2. Cream 4:05
    3. Do You Know 3:28
    4. Whatcha Wan Do 3:33
    5. Ohh! 3:15
    6. F*ck Yall 3:14
    7. Hey Playa! (Moroccan Blues) 4:21
    8. Exodus 3:02
    9. 9X Outta 10 2:55
    10. Jupiter's Critic and the Mind of Mars 2:28
    11. The Appeal 3:37
    12. Problem: The B Stands For Beautiful 1:20
    13. Whatcha Wan Do (Alternate Version)

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Which one? Teen Spirit? I dont really hear it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I read that same interview Daze mentioned and - as much as I ride for Quik - I was a little disappointed in that. I also disappointed that he dropped the DJ from his name. 'Specially 'cause a year prior to the change, he did a show here where he played a little medley on the turntables and said he was a DJ first and foremost and would never drop the DJ from his name.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Which one? Teen Spirit? I dont really hear it.

I'm not surprised. I noticed it the first time I ever heard "Let's Get Down" and to this day I'm STILL having to hum the similarities to people. It's weird 'cause it's very obvious to me.

• lepoohpoohlepoohpooh 296 Posts
    this mix is the f*ckin' truth

• lepoohpoohlepoohpooh 296 Posts

yup

• Awesome, I can't wait to hear this - Quik's music is perfect for the summer, and Matt Africa's mixes are always thorough.

Dudes! Thanks for checking for the mix and for the props! It feels good.

For anyone having problems with bumps between tracks (I think this has been a problem for some PC dudes), I've also uploaded a continuous version here.

On the "did Quik fall off/not fall off" topic, I'm liking the BlaQKout album a lot. Some of the early things I heard were unimpressive (I can't stand the chorus on "Moroccan Blues"), but it's a solid album and Quik does a lot of cool and surprising stuff on the production side.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I remember hearing about Boss was actually a total fraud when it came to the whole gangster image she portrayed, but ever happened to ol' girl?

It was a parody, not a fraud.

http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=6344