California Medical Malpractice (NRR)

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Hey everybody,I have a friend who has suffered from a condition that could've been easily rectified if the doctor gave a shit and asked like 3 questions. Meanwhile, he's lost his hair and been in pain over bullshit that I got to the bottom of pretty goddamn quickly. What is the procedure in California to either:1) Sue the doctor for negligence or malpracticeand/or2) Report the doctor to a medical review board. I went to CMRB website and it seemed pretty lame/flush your complaint down the toilet kinda thing. Holleur at a playeur, my friend has suffered over doctor negligence. Shit is fuskin shameful. ThanksT.N.

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Hey everybody,
    I have a friend who has suffered from a condition that could've been easily rectified if the doctor gave a shit and asked like 3 questions. Meanwhile, he's lost his hair and been in pain over bullshit that I got to the bottom of pretty goddamn quickly. What is the procedure in California to either:
    1) Sue the doctor for negligence or malpractice
    and/or
    2) Report the doctor to a medical review board. I went to CMRB website and it seemed pretty lame/flush your complaint down the toilet kinda thing. Holleur at a playeur, my friend has suffered over doctor negligence. Shit is fuskin shameful.
    Thanks
    T.N.

Not specific to CA:

Have him take his case to a few lawyers that work based on successful resolution of the case. They know what will fly and what won't - they won't take a case that is probably not going to pan out (i.e. make him/them money). If they jump at it, he knows the avenue to go. If they all tell him to go F*ck himself then... file a complaint.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    That's awful, was it a testosterone therapy treatment? That can cause instant hair loss that's why I asked. It's really a shame.
    LA is full of med malpractice atty's waiting to tear shit up. Most give free consultations too and give you an idea of what your case would look like. I would suggest doing a search and calling a few on your friends' behalf to see which ones to talk to. Good luck.

• what was your friend presenting with to the doctor? i dont know how it goes over in the US but at the very least your man deserves an apology from the doctor. if it was genuine negligence, the issue should be taken further and the doctor should face some disciplinary action by specialty regulatory body (again, i dont know if these even exist in the US), however malpractice/negligence is quite hard to prove.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Hypothyroidism.
    The doctor did not ask the 3 qs I did to get to the heart of the matter:
    1) Do you have any dietary restrictions?
    2) Do you eat salt?
    3) What kind of salt?
    He has been using sea salt and does NOT eat out and cannot eat meat; therefore, he has not gotten any/enough iodine in his diet for approx. 6 years. This is medical knowledge and history of medicine 101. He didn't know; he's just a young dude who hasn't been educated about things like that. Yet, his doctor did not ask any of these questions and has not even TREATED his hypothyroidism. I'll recommend pro bono lawyer research and the other stuff you guys have mentioned. He's in SF/Oakland.

• oh dear, this doctor missed hypothyroidism, its a more complicated disease than its made out (TSH/Iodine/TRH) but its still easily picked up on (sluggishness, depression, cramps etc). The doctor sounds like he jerked off during his lectures at medical school if he missed that. He should be brought before some kind of competence tribunal for this IMO.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Nah, he diagnosed it as hypothyroidism but didn't ask my homie the 3 questions.

• ah right ok, those questions were still necessary so that an effective prognosis could be formed for your man, there is a small case here but it would have been much worse had the doctor completely missed the key issue of hypothyroidism.