Patsy Cline is killing my mindframe right now.

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
So I drive my 4-year old daughter to school every morning. She used to insist on listening to Billie Holiday every morning. Now she insists on listening to Patsy Cline every morning. So as you know I've been going through a divorce as of late, and I'm now realizing how much I need to stop listening to Patsy Cline's incessant desperation for her former lover dude as her sentiments are even subconsciously sneaking into my head and taking me off track from moving on. I mean, I now recognize how Billie Holiday was contributing to me being straight up sad and Gloomy Sunday about my situation as well. But that was just sadness, it fit. This Patsy I Fall to Pieces ish just ain't gonna work. I've always had so much respect for Patsy, still do...but damn, woman, get a grip already.

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    So I drive my 4-year old daughter to school every morning. She used to insist on listening to Billie Holiday every morning. Now she insists on listening to Patsy Cline every morning. So as you know I've been going through a divorce as of late, and I'm now realizing how much I need to stop listening to Patsy Cline's incessant desperation for her former lover dude as her sentiments are even subconsciously sneaking into my head and taking me off track from moving on. I mean, I now recognize how Billie Holiday was contributing to me being straight up sad and Gloomy Sunday about my situation as well. But that was just sadness, it fit. This Patsy I Fall to Pieces ish just ain't gonna work. I've always had so much respect for Patsy, still do...but damn, woman, get a grip already.

In situations like this I find that my kids usually understand a simple explanation like, this song or singer makes daddy sad. Can we listen to something else?

Then see if you can come up with a few suggestions to choose from that would be better for your mental state.

I find my kids generally are pretty good about understanding things like that.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    my son heard that boom boom boom song and now he wants to hear it all the time.
    NO THANKS.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not going to deny my little girl what she wants to listen to...especially as she's just gotten all the words to Walkin After Midnight down pat...and hearing how cute she is when she sings it from the back seat is well worth any residual mindfuckery the music may or may not being doing on me.

I dunno, not really looking for solutions aside from me manning the F*ck up some more...but I like the idea of music, especially unwittingly, having a psychological effect on us when listened to over and over.

I mean, Gorilla Zoe has been doing a good job on the opposite end of the spectrum...so there ya go.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    So I shouldn't have mailed your daughter that two-disc George Jones set today? Sorry!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    You have to get this, all her songs released as they were to the radio stations. Awesome sound, and all the songs are uncut with true sound. Highly recommended.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    You have to get this, all her songs released as they were to the radio stations. Awesome sound, and all the songs are uncut with true sound. Highly recommended.

Considering Harvey Canal's mindframe, this is probably the last thing he wants to know about.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Jeesh, I didn't discover Patsy till I was 23.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    This is pretty cute. I have a boy so I don't know how it would be to have your daughter singing Patsy Cline but it sounds amazing. I love when my son sings. If I were you I would record her doing it.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    You have my sympathies for feeling the way you do. I can't envision myself having kids, let alone a wife, in the near future, so I cannot relate. However, if anything has stifled the depressing impact of Patsy Cline's music, personally, it's that I instantly associate it with a numerous amount of cliches taking place in a movie which features a scene involving a truck stop, bar with drunken rednecks or breakfast joint run by a gum-smacking waitress named Doris.

• Buy her a Keely Smith CD.

• I was looking for a good video and came across this:
    Kinda' fu**in' creepy.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    especially as she's just gotten all the words to Walkin After Midnight down pat

pun intended?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    harvey might be an ass but his daughter has some pretty fine taste in music. patsy cline is great!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sure enough, I'm halway home on my drive from work yesterday and my eyes start going crazy. I immediately recognize my sudden lack of depth perception as the onset of a migraine headache...so I hurry home, close the blinds, turn off all the lights, make sure it's totally silent, smoke a bowl, chug a bunch of water, then stretch out on my couch for a long nap...and then it starts:

I'm back in baby's arms/how I missed those loving arms/I'm back where I belong/back in baby's arms/

A total, unavoidable haunting ricocheting off the inner walls of my skull and right eyeball.

Demon Patsy Be Gone!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Sure enough, I'm halway home on my drive from work yesterday and my eyes start going crazy. I immediately recognize my sudden lack of depth perception as the onset of a migraine headache...so I hurry home, close the blinds, turn off all the lights, make sure it's totally silent, smoke a bowl, chug a bunch of water, then stretch out on my couch for a long nap...and then it starts:

I'm back in baby's arms/how I missed those loving arms/I'm back where I belong/back in baby's arms/

A total, unavoidable haunting ricocheting off the inner walls of my skull and right eyeball.

Demon Patsy Be Gone!

Antidepressants, doggy. That's where its at.