ebay question

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Just a quick query, mainly to make sure Im following ebay protocol, whats the deal with sellers charging more for shipping than they advertise/state on their store page?Ive only recently started buying wax off ebay, and Ive had no dramas so far, but one seller has on his store page a set figure (for a X amount of LPs to be shipped international, but sent me an invoice where the pirce is much more. I pointed out the difference and he's like "yeah I know, but your stuff weighs more..."So whats my position? Is it my responsibility to pay the difference, or his to live up to advertised rates? Do I accept it as 'shit happens' or fight it on principle? My view is that if I had agreed to pay $X amount for a record a seller wouldnt accept me changing that after we agreed for a deal, and nowhere on his site does he say (as others do) that international S&H varies according to country/weigh etc.Chhers in advance for any feedback....

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    you probably have a point to argue on.
    However how much is the difference ? Is it really worth arguing about. Postage costs vary sometimes and sometime a seller has underestimated how much he should charge. I guess the question is who should swallow the charge the Buyer or Seller ?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Loko, you totally have a point. I'd email the seller and ask him to revise his invoice to you to reflect the advertised postage rate or you'll make a complaint through ebay. Advertising a postage rate is for exactly that reason: setting a standard rate so buyers can make an informed decision before bidding.

As a seller, I've had stuff end up costing more than I advertised the postage rate at, from time to time, but that's just the way it works. You charge a rate that averages out and covers your expense, as a seller. You can't go changing the rate when you feel like it because you fucked up in your advertised rate.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    How much is the difference? Is the seller in the States?

You can go on usps.com and get rates, so maybe you should check for accuracy. Weigh up the same # of LPs and a couple pieces of cardboard.

Depending on how many records, shipping jumps at around 4-5 pounds so be aware of that.

Just 2 c. from a U.S. shipper... if it's a few bucks he should eat it, if it's a lot, he owes you a more detailed explanation I guess.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Did you buy several records form the same seller? When he replied that your stuff weighs more...it sounds like you have mutiple items and they weigh more then the single item qouted.

• anything over 4 pounds going international from the usa HAS to go priority international. there is no cheaper option anymore. between 6 and 8 records is when it gets over 4 pounds.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just a quick query, mainly to make sure Im following ebay protocol, whats the deal with sellers charging more for shipping than they advertise/state on their store page?

Ive only recently started buying wax off ebay, and Ive had no dramas so far, but one seller has on his store page a set figure (for a X amount of LPs to be shipped international, but sent me an invoice where the pirce is much more. I pointed out the difference and he's like "yeah I know, but your stuff weighs more..."

So whats my position? Is it my responsibility to pay the difference, or his to live up to advertised rates? Do I accept it as 'shit happens' or fight it on principle?

My view is that if I had agreed to pay $X amount for a record a seller wouldnt accept me changing that after we agreed for a deal, and nowhere on his site does he say (as others do) that international S&H varies according to country/weigh etc.

Chhers in advance for any feedback....

He has an obligation to abide by the rates he quoted.
    Sometimes it ends up costing the seller.

Are these 180gm 2 record sets you are counting as one record?
    No?

Does the record come with an elaborate (and heavy) book?
    No?

He needs to adjust his rates or give himself some flex in the description.

He could have written you and said, "Because your record is 180gm vinyl with a heavy gatefold cardboard sleeve and a 20 page, it weighs more than a typical record. Actual shipping costs will be more than advertised. I hope that works for you." Or something, just hitting you with a different amount is shady.