Ever Write Out Your Sampling Credits?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Hey Producer Cats,I'm addressing this to those of us who haven't yet needed to document sampling credits for clearance concerns. Obviously, the producers on here putting out records on a grand-scale likely write out what they've sampled to make their tracks. I just typed out all the sample credits (no breaks) for my 6 demos and found them informative. Here are excerpts from the "Bird's Eye View" EP by Birds of a Feather (recorded in 1992) and "Trash Day" by Stacks & Dialect (recorded in 1994), respectively:A Typical Fowl Day???A Typical Fowl Day??? contains elements of ???New City??? by Richie Havens, ???Hitchcock Railway??? by Jos?? Feliciano, ???Mo-Reen??? by The Last Words, and ???Big Brother??? by Stevie Wonder.Dialect for the Mind???Dialect for the Mind??? contains elements of ???Little Green Apples??? by Ray Bryant, ???Cucumber Slumber??? by Weather Report, ???Lucretia McEvil??? by Blood, Sweat, and Tears, ???The Thrill is Gone??? by Bobby Hutcherson, and ???Lyric Licking??? by Just-Ice.I noticed my sampling tastes definitely evolved over the years. Have any other of you lesser-known producer cats (like me) written down what you've sampled?Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Ive never written them down, but i always remember my beats by the samples

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I do keep pretty detailed notes of the tracks that i scratch on particular hiph-op tracks that me or my group produce. I find it a lot easier to remember what break/sample I used to produce something than I do to remmeber what acapella that three-word snippet of vocal came from!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i never remember to take note, and allways forget what drums i used

• i never remember to take note, and allways forget what drums i used

same. been meaning to start making notes, but i never get around to it.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I usually get stupid baked, make a beat at 4:32 am, and find it a few days later going, "What the F*ck is this? Did I make this? What record is this from?"

That's what I used to do. I don't sample much anymore because I figure I can't get it cleared. I do interpolate though. Change the key a bit, but who doesn't?

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I usually put them off to the side in a "special mystery crate". I only have to listen to one of 60 records to find the sample. Super smart, I know.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i have kept track. although my 1st albums's recording files were all lost a while back - but the info exists on old legal pad scribblings. it definitely has kept evolving for me, in whats probably a typical progression from mostly dollar bin and well known sources with a few weird things sprinkled in, towards majority more obscure and/or raer. not to be 'sample-ier-than-thou', but more reflecting ever wider/deeper music tastes, and to just keep digging towards freshness if possible.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I usually put them off to the side in a "special mystery crate". I only have to listen to one of 60 records to find the sample. Super smart, I know.

i tried that, it turned into something like this

• not to be 'sample-ier-than-thou',

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    i started naming the files of the beat after the artist i sampled. its worked out so far.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I do it--I name the Pro Tools session and/or SP1200 disk after the main sample being used. This has only bitten me in the ass a few times when, after making the beat, I decide I want to keep the drums but switch out the main (namesake) sample.