Dreier pleads guilty

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
When Saba was a young man, his first job as a paralegal was for Mr. Dreier (the second of Saba's bosses to go to the slammer - my first achieved the dubious honor of becoming an examample in the Aspen, New York Rules of Professional Conduct textbook). Dreier was representing a woman attorney who was suing her firm (what a surprise) I was with them at the court house one morning when they learned that trial would be put-off for the day because the wife of the lawyer on the other side was sick. I will always remember the woman attorney's response: "I hope she dies." and Dreier adding: "We're litigators, we don't need friends."As Judge Rakoff says, "the honorable profession of law."An interesting side note, I also worked for Jerry Shargel, who shared office space with us during that time, and for some time after, at the firm where I worked, and still work. Note to self: It's always good to have a defense attorney around, just in case.There's Jerry, on the far left in this picture, and a nice shot of Drier's gigantic head, looking like an engorged tick.http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/nyregion/12dreier.html?_r=1&em

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    When Saba was a young man

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Dreier was representing a woman attorney who was suing her firm (what a surprise)

Those nasty women. Always suing somebody.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Didn't you also represent Enron?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Dreier was representing a woman attorney who was suing her firm (what a surprise)

Those nasty women. Always suing somebody.

I was thinking more along the lines of "sleazy attorney, will even sue the people she works with."

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Mr. Dreier

My homie's wife was working there when the whole thing came to light. Needless to say, her and a lot of people there were pretty shocked by his actions, and by the fact that they were suddenly out of work.

What a piece of shit that dude.

Can you explain what "bogus promissory notes" are? Just fake investments? Non-existent companies? Fake shares?

Didn't you also represent Enron?

for a quick minute we represented Fastow. I'm in "The Smartest Guys In The Room." Which, the best part of that movie is Bill Lerach talking about how "horrible and dishonest" Enron was and then getting indicted for securites fraud and bringing all those trumped up lawshits while at Milberg Weiss.

Mr. Dreier

My homie's wife was working there when the whole thing came to light. Needless to say, her and a lot of people there were pretty shocked by his actions, and by the fact that they were suddenly out of work.

What a piece of shit that dude.

Can you explain what "bogus promissory notes" are? Just fake investments? Non-existent companies? Fake shares?

I feel bad for the associates like your friends wife probably was, but I find it hard to believe that a partenr could just close their eyes to the firms books and ask no questions for years, and then act like its unfathombale that such a thing could happen.

I think the NYT did a pretty big story on how the scam worked, and it really was a beautiful example of ginourmous brass balls, I'll try to find it.

• I want more posts where you write in the third person.

His decision to admit guilt was not a surprise, as his lawyer, Gerald L. Shargel, had been suggesting for months that his client intended to plead guilty. Mr. Shargel has said that Mr. Dreier felt ???profound remorse,??? [/b]accepted full responsibility for his crimes and had been cooperating in the attempt to untangle his scheme and track down assets that might be returned to victims.

Profoundly remorseful that he was caught, that is.

Jerry has videos of his sumation and a cross examination from the 89 Gotti trial with Bruce Cutler here.

http://www.shargellaw.com/Watch_summation1.php

I want more posts where you write in the third person.

Jimmy likes you

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I think the NYT did a pretty big story on how the scam worked, and it really was a beautiful example of ginourmous brass balls, I'll try to find it.

I read that article and I thought he was the only partner and was the only one with full knowledge of the books.

I read that article and I thought he was the only partner and was the only one with full knowledge of the books.

He was. But how can you be a partner and abdicate the accounting to a single person? I think it takes a certain amount of wilfull blindness.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

He was. But how can you be a partner and abdicate the accounting to a single person? I think it takes a certain amount of wilfull blindness.

Oh I agree.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A prominent New York lawyer whom prosecutors have called a ???Houdini of impersonation and false documents??? pleaded[/b] guilty on Monday to leading what the authorities have called a fraud scheme that bilked hedge funds and other investors out of at least $400 million.

Can I get a ruling on 'pleaded' vs. 'pled'?

i think pleaded is actually the right term in the legal context.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Thanks for posting that. I've always heard both, even on the news. Or on TV at least. Good to know the rael on that one.

It's confusing because soldiers aren't "leaded" into battle. I assumed that lead and plead would conjugate the same. It appears I was wrong.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Thanks for posting that. I've always heard both, even on the news. Or on TV at least. Good to know the rael on that one.

It's confusing because soldiers aren't "leaded" into battle. I assumed that lead and plead would conjugate the same. It appears I was wrong.

Yeah, same here. I figured at the very least it was either/or.

Gracias.