NOLA trip

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Man, had pretty much a perfect time in New Orleans. Stayed in an ancient house uptown, old time furniture and all, with some friends.Went to 2 backyard crawfish boils. Drank lots and lots of alcohol.Watched a brass band on the corner in the Marigny.Didn't really have much opportunity to even try to get laid...having too much fun already.Went to Jazz Fest...saw the Pinstripe Brass Band, the Golden Comanche Mardi Gras Indians, the Treme Brass Band, Dr. John, Aaron Neville, Irvin Mayfield's New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, Bon Jovi, and the O'Jays.Here's a shot of some dudes we saw just outside of Jazz Fest... Also, hats off to the cochon de lait po-boy I had at Jazz Fest. This is what one looks like...Haven't gotten my own photos developed yet. I visited the 9th Ward and took a bunch of shots of my old school Holy Cross which has been long abandoned and set to be torn down here fairly soon. The neighborhood was indeed still trashed, but really not all that much more than it was pre-Katrina. The corner store where I used to hang out after school was torn the F*ck up though. Didn't get a chance to travel over to the West Bank. Guess I'll have to make a return trip. In fact, dudes were encourageing me to come back for the Saints/Cowboys game in December. I'mma have to make that happen.

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    please post up pics when you get them. i miss new orleans a lot. the people, the food and the music. such a great city!

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Sunday was a lot of fun - 80 lbs of crawfish? shit was unreal. best crawfish i think i've ever had. W***er killed it.

I'm flying out today - but had to get my Aidan Gill visit in to preserve my sexy.

good to see you, man.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sunday was a lot of fun - 80 lbs of crawfish? shit was unreal. best crawfish i think i've ever had. W***er killed it.

Yes, they were insanely good. And aside from the quality, what was unreal was how fast those 2 40-lb batches got gobbled up.

Some things I learned...

1. You can purge your crawfish without rock salt. My dad used to always soak them in a vat of water and rock salt. I've now been assured that all you have to do is run a hose over them for a bit and they are duly purged, no rock salt necessary.

2. Once your crawfish have cooked, try to cool them down as quickly as possible. A bag of ice on top of the contents of the pot is one way. Hosing down the outside of the steaming pot is another. This makes the crawfish easier to disjoint from their shells. Oh yeah, and let that ish soak for at least 45 minutes so that the spices really set in for premium head-sucking.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    please post up pics when you get them. i miss new orleans a lot. the people, the food and the music. such a great city!

The crawfish from the lesser boil on Friday (just wait til you see the shots of the crawfish from Sunday!)...

Wild Comanche Mardi Gras Indians on stage at Jazz Fest...

The random band we saw on Frenchman...

Me and my best friend just before Sunday's superior boil (notice the blue claw!)...

Many more photos to come...