Banned Music...

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
The banned in the Uk thread got me thinking about what titles has actually been banned officially.I remember reading about 2 Live Crew being banned in the UK. Maybe NWA too? The Body Count album was withdrawn or something but was it really banned? Im sure some neo-nazi music is banned in Germany but what albums has officially been banned in the States? Or is it mostly a marketing tool?Peace,Dress

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    there's been cease and decist stuff because of copyright issues, but thats not really a govt banning per se.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    earlier this year Jamaica banned daggering (hardcore dry-humping) and other sexually explicit songs from the radio as well as those depicitng violence

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    (hardcore dry-humping)

and didn't a whole bunch of songs get (temporarily) banned following September 11?

Is it urban myth that "Imagine" was one of them?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    and didn't a whole bunch of songs get (temporarily) banned following September 11?

Is it urban myth that "Imagine" was one of them?

ahhhh i remember this... it wasn't a banning, but it was a list of songs that radio stations were suggested to not play for a while. i forget who made the list.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    didn;t some radio stations ban curtis mayfield's "we're a winner"?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    didn;t some radio stations ban curtis mayfield's "we're a winner"?

I think so. The Grammar Police shut that shit down like whoa.

• foster_kanefoster_kane 125 Posts
    Curious about the 9/11 list, I googled and found this:
    list

Was the ban on "Holy Diver" really necessary?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Once again: those were not "Banned" songs. A ban typically suggests some level of government censorship. A private company choosing to ban songs from their playlists is slightly - but significantly - different. It's still distasteful but it raises different issues. Clear Channel's been in the business of constraining playlists long before 9/11.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    earlier this year Jamaica banned daggering (hardcore dry-humping) and other sexually explicit songs from the radio as well as those depicitng violence

...wait a minute... daggering is dry-humping??
    I remember the sex injury thread where there was mentioned that since the beginning of the daggering craze (daggering dance-craze?), large numbers of males were hospitalized for broken penises due to daggering accidents. Does this mean that those injuries occured during dry-humping on a dancefloor? Is it really bad that I'd love to see a video of an incident like that?

• I was also talking about government banning not some companies choosing not to play stuff for whatever reason. Any examples outside of the US?

Dress

I understand its common usage is for the dance, but it is for actual (rough) sex, too...in that the penis is like a dagger. any footage of Passa Passa should give you an idea of it on the dancefloor...or on the street as it were. NSFW.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Germany has banned certain songs from the group Cannibal Corpse...when they tour they cant even play them live, nor can they sell any releases with those songs on them. I am uncertain to what specific song they are though...

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    This got banned in Brighton last summer ha...

I think it just got more plays if anything.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Snoop was banned from entering the UK for a while.

There have been lots of songs banned by the BBC, there's a list on wikipedia.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The first song that comes to mind...