Smooth Jazz HMMmmmm???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Most cats will turn theie nose uo at the mention of this sub-genre, but in the late 80's these players were gettin' mad radio play. I have a buddy whose mom has a good Lp collection and she fell right into this genre. She was copppin' mad SmoothJazz Lp like crazy. Shakatak,Najee,Stanley Jordan,Gerald Albright,KennyG,and so on. Alot of these artists were on majors and got alot of media exposure but only a certain demograph supported it. Im not trying to big up the genre but will the hipster hate ever erode and digger will look to this stuff after the other genres have been squeezed dry? Just Sayin'.If some cats start jackin the records for samples....well then? Not the 70's stuff but the stuff that helped build the smooth jazz radio statio formats in the 80's and early 90's.

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Spell check and grammar son. My head hurts after reading that.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    make this ugly posts go away!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Spell check and grammar son. My head hurts after reading that.

Damn I didnt proof read. Sorry about that. Looks like some ole'Little Rascals shit.

Most cats will turn their noses up at the mention of this sub-genre, but in the late 80's these players were gettin' alot of radio play.
    I have a buddy whose mom has a good Lp collection and she fell right into this genre. She was acquiring alot of SmoothJazz Lps like crazy. Shakatak,Najee,Stanley Jordan,Gerald Albright,KennyG,and so on. Alot of these artists were on majors and got alot of media exposure.Only a certain demograph supported it. Im not trying to big up the genre, but will the hipster hate ever erode w/diggers looking to this stuff after the other genres have been squeezed dry? Just Sayin'.
    If some cats start jackin the records for samples....well then? Not the 70's stuff but the stuff that helped build the smooth jazz radio statio formats in the 80's and early 90's.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    The father of a family I used to babysit for was talking to my pops saying, "your son collects albums? I have a whole crate of them that are just collecting dust, think he wants to take a look at them?"

Dude grew up in Detroit, kind of a weird eccentric cat, so I was really hyped.

So I'm home over the holiday and he drives over and has his son lift this HUGE coffin-like wooden crate into my house and my mouth is starting to water, you know that feeling?

Maaan...I'll be damned if the only thing I pulled out of there was this sealed modern soul 12" and 3 late-late 70s E, W & F LPs! The rest was ALL SMOOTH JAZZ GARBAGE BULLSHIT. Not even a Mr. Magic or Bob James in the crate - that's how bad it was. I hope, for my own peace of mind, that he pulled the joints out that he really thought were good and just thought he was getting over on me by finally having an excuse to get rid of those puppies.

He let me have them all, so at least I didn't have to pull out several and pay for them just because I felt bad that he even brought them over. I whispered to my mom while cracking a smile in the other room that they were all terrible records and she didn't want them sitting around the house anyway. But pops was like, "What if these are worth something big someday?!" (Because I told him about Birmingham Sunday and shit) "Dad - these records will never be worth anything, trust me."

DUMP.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    smooth jazz lp's will one day be worth as much as firestone christmas records. (good for cardboard packing though)

Is your decision based on the sound or the collectability?

You must not know me man...the sound.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    you guys prolly sleep/slept on new age too.

mantra: it doesn't have to be good for it to be worth loot x 3

private jazz didn't go away in the 80's.

No offense, man.
    But isn't one man's garbage another man's treasure?

That what Im getting at.

No offense, man.

None taken. But cm'on man, I am somebody who appreciates underapprecated albums. But I'm saying, the records weren't worth keeping or listening to, for me. And I don't exactly see Alexander Zonecheck records LPs jumping off in the marketplace.

If there's anybody out there who feels differently, there's a grocery store in Michigan that has a crate full of HEAT sitting behind it.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Alexander Zonecheck

that's my new rap name

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

That what Im getting at.
    Except I can hang with my new age lps, and my private 80's jazz lp's. Sorry can't get into smooth jazz sounds at all. All a matter of personal taste. Thats cool if you guys like the smooth jazz, no worries here.

No offense, man.

None taken. But cm'on man, I am somebody who appreciates underapprecated albums. But I'm saying, the records weren't worth keeping or listening to, for me. And I don't exactly see Alexander Zonecheck records LPs jumping off in the marketplace.

If there's anybody out there who feels differently, there's a grocery store in Michigan that has a crate full of HEAT sitting behind it.

Just Sayin'

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts
    Have guilty pleasures listening to Michael Franks early 90's output. Little bit of Bob Dorough in his voice tone... No? Thing is about seeing smooth/jazz bands live is that audience talks & chatters through the whole thing. No attentive listening whatsoever. Wine in plastic cups etc. etc.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Wine in plastic cups etc. etc.

Yes!!! Can you please add a dash of 7-up to my wine? Its the ONLY way to drink wine.

• jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
    I'm a big fan of smooth jazz and have a huge collection. Cats like Norman Brown, Ronny Jordan & Lee Ritenour are just straight bad. Anybody need some recommendations, hit me up.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I'm a big fan of smooth jazz and have a huge collection. Cats like Norman Brown, Ronny Jordan & Lee Ritenour are just straight bad. Anybody need some recommendations, hit me up.

there's that marcus miller from '98 (i believe) with 'rush over'.. that's a good one.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    DUMP.

Yo, Drewn... you dumped them??? If you still have them I'll come by and take them off your hands, mane. (No, I don't think they're worth any money... I just like certain smooth jazz albums).

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Ohhhh... I see you dumped them back in Michigan. Nevermind.

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    marcus miller's got that heat. word to ronnie laws, dave sanborn and pat metheney.

Talkin All That Smooth Jazz[/b]

Have guilty pleasures listening to Michael Franks early 90's output. Little bit of Bob Dorough in his voice tone... No? Thing is about seeing smooth/jazz bands live is that audience talks & chatters through the whole thing. No attentive listening whatsoever. Wine in plastic cups etc. etc.

• I'M DOWN WITH SMOOTH JAZZ

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I dont get it, will someone explain it to me...smooth jazz doesnt seem like jazz to me...it kinda smells like jazz, but it doesnt seem to be improvised, nor does it swing, at all...what do y'all like about it? do you have to go to the dentist a lot? is that where you heard it? I dont get it. it sounds like muzak, with a guy playin some mike post charts over the top of it...it isnt really jazz, is it?

I dont get it, will someone explain it to me...smooth jazz doesnt seem like jazz to me...it kinda smells like jazz, but it doesnt seem to be improvised, nor does it swing, at all...what do y'all like about it? do you have to go to the dentist a lot? is that where you heard it? I dont get it. it sounds like muzak, with a guy playin some mike post charts over the top of it...it isnt really jazz, is it?

There is a blur sometimes. Instramental Pop to Rhythm and Groove Jazz. The improvisation is pushed to the back.
    What about:

Additional personnel includes: Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Dean Parks (guitar); Tom Scott (tenor saxophone, lyricon); Wayne Shorter, Pete Christlieb (tenor saxophone); Plas Johnson (horns); Victor Feldman (keyboards, vibraphone, percussion); Joe Sample, Michael Omartian (keyboards); Chuck Rainey (bass); Paul Humphrey, Bernard Purdie, Steve Gadd (drums); Tim Schmit, Clydie King, Michael McDonald (background vocals).

I'M DOWN WITH SMOOTH JAZZ

Holla!!!!!!