B&O turntable - Yay or Nay?

ladydayladyday 623 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I have a little dude equipment question for the SS brain trust. I've only had 2 TT's in my life, an old Dual 510 and a second-hand Technics SL-BD35. I just listen in the pleasure of my own home, so I don't need anything fancy.Someone just gave me a Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2. It has an MMC4 cartridge which needs a replacement stylus. I looked them up online and they are discontinued and the ones left seem to be selling for $300+. They run cheaper on the 'bay but do I even want to get into bidding for proprietary, discontinued equipment? Is it going to improve my listening experience? Or is it just going to fuckup my low-fi lifestyle? Will I have to start listening to REO Speedwagon?I don't even think I could flip this thing for much without a cartridge.What say you, Soul Strut? Walk away?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I have a little dude equipment question for the SS brain trust. I've only had 2 TT's in my life, an old Dual 510 and a second-hand Technics SL-BD35. I just listen in the pleasure of my own home, so I don't need anything fancy.

Someone just gave me a Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2. It has an MMC4 cartridge which needs a replacement stylus. I looked them up online and they are discontinued and the ones left seem to be selling for $300+. They run cheaper on the 'bay but do I even want to get into bidding for proprietary, discontinued equipment? Is it going to improve my listening experience? Or is it just going to fuckup my low-fi lifestyle? Will I have to start listening to REO Speedwagon?

I don't even think I could flip this thing for much without a cartridge.

What say you, Soul Strut? Walk away?

B&O turntables look incredible and sound like shit.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    true for everything by b and o?

design over function.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    if you want to get into the market for a cheap turntable that sounds great and has replaceable carts/styli check the pro-ject debut models

• HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts
    I have a little dude equipment question for the SS brain trust. I've only had 2 TT's in my life, an old Dual 510 and a second-hand Technics SL-BD35. I just listen in the pleasure of my own home, so I don't need anything fancy.

Someone just gave me a Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2. It has an MMC4 cartridge which needs a replacement stylus. I looked them up online and they are discontinued and the ones left seem to be selling for $300+. They run cheaper on the 'bay but do I even want to get into bidding for proprietary, discontinued equipment? Is it going to improve my listening experience? Or is it just going to fuckup my low-fi lifestyle? Will I have to start listening to REO Speedwagon?

I don't even think I could flip this thing for much without a cartridge.

What say you, Soul Strut? Walk away?

B&O turntables look like shit and sound like shit.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

B&O looks incredible and sounds like shit.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I will definitely buy one of these babies in the future.
    Awesome design and great performance.

Thorens TD124

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Thanks for the advice everyone!