Elvis Costello with Smokey Robinson

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I caught this last night, the last part of the interview on that 'Spectacle; Elvis Costello with..." show.Anyone seen the series. Its pretty slick and more skewed to music lovers than just pop fans. I saw Rufus Thomas a few episodes back, Lou Reed was on there, and even Bill Clinton, although I passed on the episdoe with the Police. Costello always does a few jams with the guest....Smokey wasawesome. I realised, the dudes voice and way of talking, his phrasing and tone, reminds me of Richard Pryor, and he was giving up some good knowledge on the old Motown days. He claims it took him 5 years to write 'Crusin', or get the right words for the music, and that alot of the Motown hits wont recorded at the Motown studio, or even Detroit, but all over the place, LA London NY...where ever they were touring they recorded....

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    it's pretty much a testament to smokey that he manages to sing it in tune with elvis destroying the melody like that at the same time.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    it's pretty much a testament to smokey that he manages to sing it in tune with elvis destroying the melody like that at the same time.

Yeah and he seems cool with it... even Costellos little adlibs... Smokey is one smooth operator.....

I get the feeling Elvis is using this show as a platform to jam with all his musical heroes...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Yeah and he seems cool with it... even Costellos little adlibs... Smokey is one smooth operator.....

I get the feeling Elvis is using this show as a platform to jam with all his musical heroes...
    can't really blame him for that