DJ's What's Kosher $$-wise? Charity gig related

DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
My wife wants to ask a DJ friend of ours to go gratis for a benefit she's organizing, a good cause but I don't want her to offend this dude whose livelihood is DJ-ing. How does this work usually for you? As in, how many charity gigs do you do per year and are there some where you do partial trade/partial pay?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    If he's pro, then he should be an LLC. Therefore, it's a good look to do it as a donation (write-off).

I do several charity gigs per year. All at no charge.

• I've done a few and people usually just ask me how much it will cost. I am not an LLC, but have done it either for free, or asked for enough to cover expenses (if I have to bring equipment, travel, etc.)

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    most djs are not llcs. to rise to the level of a write off, charitable donations have to be quite significant.

pay the man

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    For me, the service is no the issue. It's lugging all my shit out. If it's a benefit, and we're not good homies, at the least, have sound & equipment there, and get me to and from the venue (if it's out of the way).

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i've done a few where they had clearly paid for catering, drinks and other stuff, but then came to me trying to get free service. that bothers me. but if they are able to get donations for everything, i'm happy to help gratis (including travel and equipment)--especially when I believe in the cause. about 50% of the time I get a paid referral out of it too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    $500 is a proper honorarium.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i've done a few where they had clearly paid for catering, drinks and other stuff, but then came to me trying to get free service. that bothers me. but if they are able to get donations for everything, i'm happy to help gratis (including travel and equipment)--especially when I believe in the cause. about 50% of the time I get a paid referral out of it too.

agreed. that's on some bullshit when they've paid for venue, catering, etc., but want to skimp on the DJ. as nice as it is to get some sort of referral or follow-up business, i don't expect it. folks like to talk a lot. and if they come at you on some, "this is an opportunity for great exposure... so and so is going to be there..." you know it's not worth your time. i'd rather just do it out of the kindness of my heart, not hopes of cute chicks trying to holler, getting drunk and fed, or promises of future gigs.

plain and simple, if they can't put up anything, or you're not into, i advise organizers to throw on a fuskin ipod and be done with it. the spectacle of a DJ isn't going to help your cause.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "this is an opportunity for great exposure.

People die from exposure.

Have a "special discounted charity rate" you can offer when asked.

An other way to think of it is like this.
    The save-the-second-oldest-oak-tree-in-polk-county is a good cause.
    I would be willing to donate $50.00 to SSOOTPC.
    They can have me for $50.00 less than my normal price.
    If $50 is your normal price do it for free.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

pay the man

• are you charging a cover?

pay the DJ a percentage of what you make

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    the correct moves
    you offer to pay said dj, he declines payment, feels good about doing something for the charity, you feel relief that you don't have another out going expense

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Thanks everyone for this input. She offered what they had in the budget for a DJ which was 350 but its only for 2 hours so that's actually not really a paltry offer at all, and he was very glad to do it.