buyer's market

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
i know summers are generally slow for vinyl sales, prices tend to go down and all that.. but is it just me or does this summer seem unusually slow/cheap?

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    ugh

tell me about it.

try putting out a record right about now.. distro is on snoooooooozzzzeeee mode

• Yes and no: in my opinion things like ebay are more unpredictable than during the "regular season". Prices are all over the place.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Been getting some serious wants for cheap all summer long. Waiting for like 10 things in the mail right now. Almost feel bad for some of these sellers, it is just dead this summer. Total buyers market.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Kinda makes me wish I had money.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Kinda makes me wish I had money.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

ebay stuff like this + summer of young phonics employment= INSTANT COLLECTION

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Kinda makes me wish I had bid on that muh'fucker.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Selling on eBay right now is dreadful . It's best to hold onto the heat rocks until October. I recall September being equally as painful as well. My advice is high starting bids and reserves.

As for bidding, I have had the auctionsniper set and haven't won jack. So -- who knows?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I dunno - I figure I'll be able to get 'going market prices' or above for the pieces I have on the 'bay at the moment( knock on wood).

smaller stuff in the 10-20 range is in the toilet though - I guess only the 'serious' collectors who can't tear themselves away from record aquistition for 2 seconds are left on ebay during the summer doldrums.

---

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Selling on eBay right now is dreadful .

learned that lesson last week.

The pink & purple Michael Wycoff sold for under $10

McFadden & Whitehead sold for $15 (usually goes for $30-$40)

shit was ugly.

on the flip though I am buying things left and right for waaaay less then they were going for just a month ago

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

which mcfadden did you have up?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Also... have lots of Buy It Nows when you sell in the summer. You'd be suprised how many kids have money in the summertime yet no competition. So they win shit low. If you have a buy it now screaming at them and fat pockets they are more likely to end that shit now rather than take a gamble and wait 7 days.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

which mcfadden did you have up?

the raer one from '82 (Movin' On)

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    INSTANT COLLECTION
    INSTANT COLLECTION
    INSTANT COLLECTION
    INSTANT COLLECTION
    INSTANT COLLECTION

• While I agree, I put 2 on a couple of weeks at $24.99 and both received first bids in a matter of hours. Most auctions I've run at any point, people wait until the snipe. Both sold for pretty fair prices (to me and the buyers) too.

Also I had a lot of 50 45's that sold for $30 a couple of weeks ago. $30 isn't that much, but this stuff was absolute shit that I pulled from a box of 600 I bought at a yard sale for $10. I even listed all 50 in the auction, people still bought it up. I never knew Air Supply pic sleeves were in such high demand.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

BOING!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Almost feel bad for some of these sellers, it is just dead this summer.

Thank you. My last run left my ass sore.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    everything i've been watching has been real high or higher than usual. for instance all those shamek farrah first impressions that are popping up on ebay are going way higher than is reasonible. i've won a few pieces but nothing dirt cheap. also that whatnauts thats not a rip off price I've seen it that low before on ebay (not in the summer either). just put up a update on my site and have sold quite a few of the more expensive records i had. i just don't buy that it's slow.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

No action on ebay right now. there's been a few things that have come up, but nothing that great. I guess sellers are sitting on the heat. Shitty for those of us with some disposable income burning holes in our pockets...

h

• I can't say ebay has been horrible for me this summer (as a seller). I've been getting decent prices on most things. I did notice that the week or two after the London bombings I was getting virtually no UK winning bidders, even though I happened to have a bunch of northern soul up. The combination of summer and terrorism anxiety is certainly not the most favorable environment for selling records.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Try listing Guitar Interludes for $24.00 and see if everyone is asleep.

I think summer is bad. I also think that the flood of repress has hurt the larger market. At one time soul/funk/jazz stuff was not even available on CD, today almost anything worth a listen has been repressed.

Dan

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    is it really that bad right now?

I haven't really been doing any online buying. In fact, it's probably been two or three months or something since i even bought an LP online.

But my last set of sales a couple weeks ago went quite well. I couldn't complain in the least.

I'm working on another list of some good funk 45's as well as just some oddball / obscure one's as well. i wonder if not having too many other medium size lists of quality stuff in the summer could help boost sales due to increased exposure. I don't know.

I need the cash as I was hoping to chill a bit in the month of August and relax. I'd hate to put up one last list and be heavily disappointed. Especially with a handful of serious heaters in there.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    is it really that bad right now?

I haven't really been doing any online buying. In fact, it's probably been two or three months or something since i even bought an LP online.

But my last set of sales a couple weeks ago went quite well. I couldn't complain in the least.

I'm working on another list of some good funk 45's as well as just some oddball / obscure one's as well. i wonder if not having too many other medium size lists of quality stuff in the summer could help boost sales due to increased exposure. I don't know.

I need the cash as I was hoping to chill a bit in the month of August and relax. I'd hate to put up one last list and be heavily disappointed. Especially with a handful of serious heaters in there.

If you list good stuff you will get good price I'm sure. Mid level stuff, and astronomical prices I don't think are happening to much right now.

• hello,

yea... the whole continent of europe is on vacation. sven and rudger have put on the butt tight addias short shorts and have hit the mediterranean. that leaves you with some weak ass prices. ap dont auction between july 15th and september 1st. fuk it. i'm on vacation too. so cal beach dude for life.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ap dont auction between july 15th and september 1st. fuk it. i'm on vacation too. so cal beach dude for life.

REAL TALK

NYC is beyond fany for nice, cheap fun finds

I heart the city.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Just when I was getting bored with ebay this summer, funkyou! brings out some heatrocks.