More club b.s and politics......

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I quit my Saturday night gig last night. I have been there for 3 years straight and although it feels like home and is solid money the new manager is an a hole and stepped to me wrong. I know you should never quit a job before having another lined up but sometimes you have to. A girl that frequents the club told me two weeks after he got on that he was going to try to get rid of me because he told her that. Of course the first thing I do is go ask him and talk to him about it and he denies everything. He is the same guy that I explained to him the club needs to step their shitty ass dj set up and he flipped out saying I was the only one to complain about it. I let him know I was probably the only dj that actually cared and I wasn't complaining but trying to help the venue be the best it could be. he didn't give a shit. So a few weeks ago he decided to move me out of the big main room to the shitty side room that no one goes into. He replaces me with new jack just got Microwave johnny come lately. The result? More then half the normal crowd has stopped coming. The ones that do come, come into my room and ask why am I not in the big room and that dj sucks in there. Which he does. If he was tight I would give it up but he is not. He is a joke that plays djs mixed cds off of Microwave!!! WTF? The manager loves him and says how great he is. So I ask last night when should I be back in the main room and he said NEVER. Lmao..... I said ok time to go you got your wish. I'm gone and so is 75% of your crowd. Great management! What a dip shit. At any rate I now currently have NO saturday night gig. Typical though. Shouldn't last too long I'm sure I will be on somewhere else soon but what a shitty night last night.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If anything the owner will be firing that manager and begging you to come back.

b/w

plays djs mixed cds off of Microwave

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Maybe you should organize a dancers strike. Bring all your crowd to the club and make them block the whole dancefloor standing there demonstratively not-dancing.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I've been in the same shoes, Dee.

We had a new dude come and manage a place I used to have my regular saturdays at. The one before him was wanting a change in his life, so he gave the owners two weeks, and moved on.

This new guy was such a racist, sexist pig, and thought he knew how to "help" the business by only playing the ipod, and new "fresh faces" to DJ instead of us old crusty turds, I presume.

Luckily, all of the employees (including myself) begged for the owners to run a background check on the guy. Come to find out this douche never ran or managed a business, he was a concrete salesman! How the hell he ever got the job boggled me. The GM before him came back, as did all the DJ's

Surely, it is scary to quit a job without another one lined up, but I don't blame you. If you ain't happy, then what is the point? If you are in a place or job that doesn't make you happy--more than likely you will find something better...

Good luck, Dee!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Maybe you should organize a dancers strike. Bring all your crowd to the club and make them block the whole dancefloor standing there demonstratively not-dancing.

Fantastic idea! I want to see the video of this when it happens...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    reach out to the owners. casually mention to them that the new manager is pushing coke on the side. wait a few days. place a few baggies in strategical places inside the venue. anonymously call the cops.

if someone's messing with your income, you can't fight dirty enough.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm sure I will be on somewhere else soon.

No doubt, likely for the best.

Sometimes new managers think it is their job to change everything around.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    reach out to the owners. casually mention to them that the new manager is pushing coke on the side. wait a few days. place a few baggies in strategical places inside the venue. anonymously call the cops.

if someone's messing with your income, you can't fight dirty enough.

One approach would be similar to this... talk to the owners, tell them why you quit (without the sour grapes otherwise it won't work), and just tell them that when they're ready to hire you back to give you a call.
    6-8 weeks this new guy will be history and you'll be back.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    take your crowd somewhere else

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    All great advice. True story: I knew of a promoter that would actually hire goons to go to other parties and shoot them up so they would get shut down and he would have the only thing going in town!!!!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    True story: I knew of a promoter that would actually hire goons to go to other parties and shoot them up so they would get shut down and he would have the only thing going in town!!!!

LOL

Back in the day I was asked if I wanted to tend bar at an established Rock club in Jamaica, Queens.

I showed up the first night and every bartender(5) and bouncer was new.....I figured the owner had gotten pissed at them and fired them all in one fell swoop.

Later on in the night I found out the real reason.

The week before one of the bouncers had kicked a Biker Gang member out of the club.

At 2:00AM a bunch of bikers showed up and shot the place up through the large front window.

Every employee quit on the spot.