Record store comeback in LA

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-et-vinyl26-2009apr26,0,7789751.story?track=rssHaven't personally stopped by any of these yet but was just hearing about 'em the other day and the LA Times is now covering

Comments

• link not working

• thanks- that was a pretty good article- maybe the best one i have read about the "vinyl revival". instead of being a total fluff piece about how "vinyl is cool again" there was a hearty dose of scepticism and doubt for a change.

and i like how it ended really ominously:

"To me, it's just awesome that there are all these other new stores," Thompson said. "It reassures me that I'm not doing something totally stupid."

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    No Used Vinyl = f*cking lame.

epic fail. Enjoy your yeah yeah yeahs 180 gram gatefold.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    No Used Vinyl = f*cking lame.

epic fail. Enjoy your yeah yeah yeahs 180 gram gatefold.

b/w

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    A new trend. Mostly poor buying choices will be made on the part of the record store. Market will reach saturation point and stores will close. The new Jack Johnson album on vinyl isn't really appealing at least to me...And I don't see how purchasing it for $15.99 at a brick and mortar is appealing in the long run, considering people are keen on using the internet, comparing prices, etc. I mean most of these dudes/gals will already have an ipod, so once the novelty of buying vinylz wears off, I don't think these stores will fair too well.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    But they're doing well... this week.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    once the novelty of buying vinylz wears off

We will be pulling all those LPs these kids purchased out of dollar bins.... although Id probably pass on Jack Johnson even at a dollar....

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    LIMITED EDITION 3000 PRESS AGED SONIC YOUTH 7"!!!!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    shut down those 3 stores and bring back Arons

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    shut down those 3 stores and bring back Arons

Just with a new staff, please.