Laos checking in

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Hot as a muhfuckah here in Luang Nam Tha but the pho (or whatever the lao word for it is) is hitting. This town is mostly late 70s construction because we apparently bombed the shit out of this area during the war. Anyone have the knowledge on music and/or books?

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    ...and is it true that there are still mines throughout Laos from Vietnam War?--or so I read...it is really depressing.

but...

i'm happy to hear you got some pho in Laos, im jealous!!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Country with the most bombs dropped per capita in the world, nasty shit went down. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Poe

De-mining in off the beaten track areas is not as big as in Cambodia, you better watch it.

I didn't make it that far up north but I'm told it's beautiful, the Mekong trips are worth it, untouristy compared to S-Laos and Thailand.

You can show a picture of a vinyl record to people in their 40s and if you're really lucky something might pop up, but I doubt it. You're better off looking for bookstores that carry English titles, there's still some antique deals there.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Owning any pop music records was pretty much a death sentence under the Khmer Rouge, so don't get your hopes up.

You might find some cassettes at a flea market.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Hit this spot up. It's along the Mekong toward the south, near Champasak:

WAT PHU ancient temple complex

Probably tourists for days, but such an ill site.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    thanks guys. hitting the river today.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    thanks guys. hitting the river today.

Watch out for that swine flu doggy