Acid Mothers Temple

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
they came to town last night, and I went to see them although I knew I could be confronted with one of their many styles and flavors I am not keen on...lately they have been playing what I call "Airbrushed Mushroom" bullshit jam band shit. However last night hey brought the heavy ass space rock skull F*ck...they played for over 2 hours straight...the bass player singer doing some next level throat singing, at time he sounded like he had auto tune on his voice but no effects, trickery or gimmicks...just his voice....the majority of the set was what I imagine will be the closest I will ever get to seeing Hawkwind, Amon Duul and the the like in their prime...f*cking amazing. If they come to your town, go...although I cant promise you what style they will choose that night

Comments

• I would love to check these guys, but I don't think anyone is going to bring them to PGH anytime soon.

I do have tickets to see Ghost at the Andy Warhol museum next month though. real hype for that one.

• they swung through madison on their way from the twin cities to chicago and played a free 40 minute set at a hip little thrift shop on a beautiful saturday afternoon. absolutely incredible show. picked up the new album and thanked the guys for stopping by and making my day weekend.

and then diplo played a free show that night.

• skattaskatta 48 Posts
    They came here a couple years ago and did an amazing show. Definitely going to check them out again if they come around.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    I saw them several times, first in about 2000 and again every few years, and each time they blew doors, so good. at one show this bitch tried to steal my coat but other than that drama i was feeling the whole vibration. it's good that they dropped that girl who was on stage with them turning knobs and dancing around, she kinda dented their stage show and musicianship with her uselessness, good move. the guitar player made his own homemade pedals too i could see from my vantage point and i stared at his feet for like ten minutes because he had this network of pedals which he used so adeptly and got some amazing sounds out of them, all the while his eyes shrouded by cover of his massive hair. great live band.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    They're a great band, probably one of my favorite bands. I have a lot of the early stuff on vinyl, but I don't really feel the need to keep up with everything that they put out and probably haven't bought one of their albums in a few years.

Amazing live, though.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The new music direction they're going on is kinda like Boris. Definitely heavier, noisier and louder than what they've done before alot more freeform in structure. Kawabata alone has been holding down the new psych movement in Japan since the 80's? So, really I'm anxious to see what direction he takes it.

I think it's great that America is embracing japrock now. Word the F*ck up Julian cope.

- spidey