I Forgot the Record Was That Good!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,I'm sure a lot of you just don't manage to cycle around to particular records over a period of time (perhaps, years even). Every now and then, I listen to a record I've forgotten about, and to my surprise, I find that it's really good. So, I write to ask what albums have you reacted to this way recently? For me, they were:-"Out of the Cool"-The Gil Evans Orchestra.-"Workingman's Dead"-Grateful Dead.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Nothing top secret, although I did recently pull out a stack of Redd Foxx records to listen to at work. I was entertained.

Same time, I pulled out a Garnet Mimms record I hadn't listened to in a couple years. Definitely an underrated singer in my opinion. Good stuff.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Grafwritah,

Funny that you ask, because wifey and I are headed to Akron next week. I'm giving a research talk in my old department (as a doctoral student), while the misses will visit with her family (my in-laws live there). It's amazing how the "prodigal son" is being welcomed back. I wasn't exactly popular with the department head "regime" as a student. It's funny how folks wanna bask in your success after the fact even though they could give a shit when you were struggling. Oh well, I get to see my old advisor (who I see regularly at national conferences and such), other cool profs, and my buddies still living around A-town. I can't believe Edgewood is gone. I had many a "spades" card game up in that piece with some of my Akron-native homies.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Funny that you ask, because wifey and I are headed to Akron next week. I'm giving a research talk in my old department (as a doctoral student), while the misses will visit with her family (my in-laws live there). It's amazing how the "prodigal son" is being welcomed back. I wasn't exactly popular with the department head "regime" as a student. It's funny how folks wanna bask in your success after the fact even though they could give a shit when you were struggling. Oh well, I get to see my old advisor (who I see regularly at national conferences and such), other cool profs, and my buddies still living around A-town. I can't believe Edgewood is gone. I had many a "spades" card game up in that piece with some of my Akron-native homies.

That sounds like people in general - ha.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Graf,

Yes, I'm talking about U. of Akron. I came out of the Industrial/Organizational Psychology PhD program there. It's a great program and the training I received has benefitted my career greatly. I don't know a lot of folks in administration, other then a former associate graduate dean who retired. I do know a lady who works in the university president's office, so who knows. I'll give her a buzz to see what's poppin'.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yes, I'm talking about U. of Akron. I came out of the Industrial/Organizational Psychology PhD program there. It's a great program and the training I received has benefitted my career greatly. I don't know a lot of folks in administration, other then a former associate graduate dean who retired. I do know a lady who works in the university president's office, so who knows. I'll give her a buzz to see what's poppin'.

Good stuff.

• Hey,

I'm sure a lot of you just don't manage to cycle around to particular records over a period of time (perhaps, years even). Every now and then, I listen to a record I've forgotten about, and to my surprise, I find that it's really good. So, I write to ask what albums have you reacted to this way recently? For me, they were:

-"Out of the Cool"-The Gil Evans Orchestra.
    -"Workingman's Dead"-Grateful Dead.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Both great albums. Gil Evans is one of my personal musical gods, and WMD takes me a minute to get into until 'Black Peter', which I was fortunate to see them do back in teh early 90s.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Buddy Miles - All the Faces

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've actually listened to the Doors "Morrisson Hotel" a lot lately. Sort of a classic, sure, but I've never been a huge Doors fan and I can't stand their earlier, played out hits. But MH is a solid album, and "Peace Frog" brings the funk too!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've actually listened to the Doors "Morrisson Hotel" a lot lately. Sort of a classic, sure, but I've never been a huge Doors fan

If you don't mind me asking...

If you're not a Doors fan, then how did you wind up with one of their albums in your possession?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Talking Heads - Remain in Light

I was a big Heads fan in High School, saw 'Stop Making Sense' in the movie theatre back then (repeatedly actually, it used to run Fridays at the Uptown for a while when I was in college). I tired of David Byrne in general by the 90s, and really hadn't listened to TH much since. Yesterday I picked this up again, and it's staying in the stack. Just a great listen all the way through, and brings the rhythym.

I've actually listened to the Doors "Morrisson Hotel" a lot lately. Sort of a classic, sure, but I've never been a huge Doors fan

If you don't mind me asking...

If you're not a Doors fan, then how did you wind up with one of their albums in your possession?

I was playing Tony Hawk and "Peace frog" came on, and bought the album on the strength of that, but never really listened to the album in its entirety. I mean, I like me some Doors, but an old friend of mine was a huge fan of them. He'd play their earlier albums all the time, and I thought they were alright, but not mindblowing. I might have to check them out, taste in music changes with time IMO.

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

Great album!

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

I'm listening to it right now. Matches the spring mood. Top notch studio musicians all-over.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Cloud One-Atmosphere Strut

Recently heard someone play "Dust to Dust" and i remembered how dope this album is. Went to pull it out of my racks only to figure out i sold it