The Wire Season 2

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Finished watching season 2 last night. I'm a little shell shocked, but still hooked. Very Baltimore. Very intense. Very good. I have a few little complaints. 1) They tried to pump up the music and it didn't always work. The Nighthawks in the Stevedores bar, a lot of CCR sounding bluesrock, including the closing montage. I think my favorite music moment was Russell meeting with an old boy friend at a Royal Farm, or Subway and it was all late night electric lights with Midnight At The Oasis playing. Also Tom Waits version of Down In The Hole can't hold a candle to the Blind Boys. Can't think of other complaints now. I really like how people do not act in their best interests. In most shows the criminals and the police actions are determined by following their interests or what they think is their best interests. In the Wire, as in real life, people make lots of bad decisions. McNulty has a lot of great sex. Just saying. As a person who romanticizes unions I love Frank Sobatka. International Brotherhood of Stevedores appears to be fictional, the Baltimore docks, like the rest of the docks in this country, are controlled by the ILWU. Discuss:Brother MouzonStringer Bell undermining Avon Barkesdale Prez's father-in-lawKima's babyZiggy

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Just some union images.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Arent there specific Wire Threads for every season on the Strut?

The Wire is the new THC/Job/Bay Area Food/Moped thang?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Discuss:

Discuss:

I know, I know.

I started a thread a few weeks ago revealing my late passness, and discussing season one. That thread started to reveal upcoming events and I departed.

Now I have finished season 2.

That I am disconnected should not be news to anyone here.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    McNulty gets props for pulling that waitress after he wrecks his car. (That was season 2, right?) If not, sorry D*n!

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    wait we're supposed to discuss it as you finish each season? wtf i just finished 4 last night and couple days ago this dumb [email]b@#%@[/email] put a major season 5 spoiler on her facebook status. how is that a smart thing to do?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    They tried to pump up the music and it didn't always work. The Nighthawks in the Stevedores bar

That was painful.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Nerd alert: One of the reporters shouting questions when Valcheck finally gets Sobotka perp-walked out of union office arrested is David Simon. Look for the pudgy bald white guy. Look for him again in Season 5.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Caught him at the news desk season 5... didn't know about the season 2 appearance! Will look.

They tried to pump up the music and it didn't always work. The Nighthawks in the Stevedores bar

That was painful.

Speaking of late passes, I just recognized your avatar.

I remember when everyone had a Wire avatar, and they were all meaningless to me.
    Yours is about the last one left.

• Stringer Bell was on the Office tonight.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I coulda done without ziggy and mouzone.

• minimini 879 Posts
    I coulda done without mouzone.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

BLASPHEMY

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

"I think you got some wrong information, brother."

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Paid in Full was on the tv here the other night.

It's a bullshit movie, but the main character's played by Wood Harris (Avon), not sure why the other dude gets top billing on the poster.

It's a bullshit movie, but the main character's played by Wood Harris (Avon), not sure why the other dude gets top billing on the poster.

This movie is essential

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

This movie is essential

In what way?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Even Cam is good in it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The acting is all pretty good.

But the plot/story/script is very weak.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

This movie is essential

In what way?

Classic 80's Drug Dons that shaped the NYC Hip Hop generation.

I wouldnt own the movie though. There enuff F.E.D.S. and them magazine coverage, street rumour, and MOB STYLE records that have chronicled the story. Dame Dash and them put the money up to let folks know about the scene.

i have a season 3 question. sorry, i won't spoil anything, really.

so in Wire season 3 the political stuff starts up. we see Daniel's wife interested in getting involved in political life and running for an office. we also see some councilmen set their sites on something bigger. then we see how the latter run their campaigns but we never hear about Daniel's wife again. did i miss something or did that plotline just get tossed?

you'd think they would have worked the two threads into each other.

Daniels' wife is all over the series through 4 and 5... you sure you're not watching them chinatown bootlegs???

damn! Shin-soo got over on me.

i was wondering why Wee-Bey turned into a white guy for no reason.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They never go into her story in any depth though, which isn't really needed. What you do get is enough to make the character more than just 'Daniels' wife'.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

But the plot/story/script are based on true stories.

in the dvd "game over" the sister of one of the dudes tells the whole story about sonny getting kidnapped by the uncle and dude at the store.

This movie is essential

FIRST MOVIE EVER, MERKED OUT MEKHI PHIFE

in the dvd "game over" the sister of one of the dudes tells the whole story about sonny getting kidnapped by the uncle and dude at the store.

Yeah, perhaps dude wasn't aware that it's based on actual events (although with some obvious dramatic license).

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    almost surprised to see soulstrut ride for paid in full. and i DO own it on dvd, so there. i like how its directed by the wwwwwaaaaaazzzzzzuuuupppppp guy.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Yeah, perhaps dude wasn't aware that it's based on actual events (although with some obvious dramatic license).

Nope, I was aware, although I wonder how much of the true story is left in there, as it's a re-write of a previously optioned screen play. I also found the similarities to, and use of Scarface, incredibly labored.

I found watching it frustrating because it had some great actors and there is great potential in the story, and that period of time/place, but it never delivered. Judging it purely on its merits as a film, I stand by what I said.

Not that this will mean much to theStrut but it only gets 53% over on rottentomatoes.

-

**Spoiler Alert**

The ending where Ace (Avon) sets up Cam'ron and he shoots the undercover FBI dudes, then later you see him in custody, saying that he wont give up anyone local cause he's going to "Still be the king when he gets out".
    The dude had just shot, probably killed, 2 cops, and they're all standing around 'begging' him to roll up on someone, unlikely. And he's playing it tight, even though it must have been obvious that Ace, (the guy the FBI are really after) was the one who just set him up, and dude is going down forever for that shit.

Compare that to how a similar situation is dealt with in The Wire, and Paid in Full come across as some sugar coated, fairy tale nonsense.