What Women Want (Somewhat RR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Last night on the Discovery Channel I was watching this show about what attracts the opposite sex. In one part they took a photo of a generic looking dude and at the bottom of the photo listed a generic job with an average annual salary.They then asked the women to rate his LOOKS based on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being best.The average of the survey had him at a "5".Then they took the same photo and listed his occupation as "Record Executive" at $325K a year.He amazingly became a "9".I'm certain that this doesn't represent ALL women and I also recognize that many men are just as shallow....but still.....it was an interesting study.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    OK I'll take the bait.

Ask a superficial question, you???ll get superficial answers.

b/w

The (not-so) interesting assumption that tends to follow these types of ???research??? is that women find guys with money more attractive because they want their way paid, gifts and the good life - gold-diggers. Not too many folks consider the less shallow and more boring, practical reasons for some women being into the second guy over the first; that people associate high-paying, high-level jobs with things like intelligence (sexy!), ambition and hard-work (hot!) and self-reliance (dreamy!).

Hell, throw in the glamour of the entertainment business and I???m sure you???d find manly men who would give the guy a 9.5!

I wonder how much the responses would have changed, if at all, if his executive job was sports-related.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Yeah, you would say that

lol - I didn't want to let anyone down

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I rate your response a 9

But since I'm in Tokyo right now and not down the street from you it becomes a 9.5

And dun worry... No burn... YET!!!

xo

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    that people associate high-paying, high-level jobs with things like intelligence (sexy!), ambition and hard-work (hot!) and self-reliance (dreamy!).

Hell, throw in the glamour of the entertainment business and I???m sure you???d find manly men who would give the guy a 9.5!

although most of these kinds of jobs are due to nepotism and not intelligence, ambition, hard work and self-reliance.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I think it depends on the situation. Like, say she was hungry. Then she might want a sandwich. Or, you know, if she were tired, she might want a nap.

My insight into the feminine psyche is keen.

yep - but you know, nepotism just isn't that romantic!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I don't rate guys. If it was a chick she'd get the same rating for looks regardless of caption. It's the same photo. Stop answering a question that wasn't asked!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Although women with less power are hotter.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    only a fool would suffer this rubbish unscientific experiment.

i am off to go meet my super hot record label owner boyfriend for lunch at balthazar followed by shopping and private pilates. peace

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yep - but you know, nepotism just isn't that romantic!

It is in Arkansas!!!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    The answer to the questions "what do women want?" has been the same for years:

"Who cares? Now get me a sammich, dammit."

• Although women with less power are hotter.

Reynaldo's private mindgarden summed up in one short sentence...

the way to a woman's heart is between the 4th and 5th rib

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

How is it unscientific? Social psychologists run these kind of experiments all the time, many of them following rigorous methodologies. You may think the conclusions are suspect but there's nothing to indicate that the actual experiment with a substandard scientific process.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

How is it unscientific? Social psychologists run these kind of experiments all the time, many of them following rigorous methodologies. You may think the conclusions are suspect but there's nothing to indicate that the actual experiment with a substandard scientific process.

I'm saying. The ran the same experiment after altering one variable. Sounds scientific enough to me. Of course, you're dealing with human reactions and emotions and stuff which is dicey, but that doesn't mean the experiment is unsound.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Did they do the same study with men rating women?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Did they do the same study with men rating women?

Men don't care what women do. Woman of custodial arts to woman record producer hovers within 1 pt of the same score.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Both men and women are superficial. It just depends on to what degree and how vocal/honest they are about it.

Both men and women are superficial. It just depends on to what degree and how vocal/honest they are about it.

Superficiality in the sense of interpersonal attraction, however, is a genetic survival instinct according to evolutionary theory. From teh Wikipedia:

The evolutionary theory of human interpersonal attraction states that interpersonal attraction most often occurs when someone has physical features indicating that he or she is very fertile. The only purpose of relationships is reproduction, thus people invest in partners who appear very fertile to increase the chance of their genes being passed down to the next generation. This theory has been criticized because it does not explain relationships between same-sex couples or couples who do not want children.

Another evolutionary explanation suggests that fertility in a mate is of greater importance to men than to women. According to this theory, a woman places significant emphasis on a man's ability to provide resources and protection. The theory suggests that these resources and protection are important in ensuring the successful raising of the woman's offspring. The ability to provide resources and protection might also be sought because the underlying traits are likely to be passed on to male offspring.

Evolutionary theory also suggests that people whose physical features suggest they are healthy are seen as more attractive. The theory suggests that a healthy mate is more likely to possess genetic traits related to health that would be passed on to offspring. People's tendency to consider people with facial symmetry more attractive than those with less symmetrical faces is one example. However a test was conducted that found that perfectly symmetrical faces were less attractive than normal faces. [4]

It has also been suggested that people are attracted to faces similar to their own. Case studies have revealed that when a photograph of a woman was superimposed to include the features of a man's face, the man whose face was superimposed almost always rated that picture the most attractive.[citation needed] This theory is based upon the notion that we want to replicate our own features in the next generation, as we have survived thus far with such features and have instinctive survival wishes for our children. Another (non-evolutionary) explanation given for the results of that study was that the man whose face was superimposed may have consciously or subconsciously associated the photographically altered female face with the face of his mother or other family member.[citation needed]

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yeah, liking "big booty hoes" is basically just science at work.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    "ass and titties" = abridged version of "origin of the species"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Indeed.....

With the men they had them look at various "shapes" of women.

The women with the smallest waist and biggest hips were considered the most attractive.

EXACTLY. And you can't argue with science.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    The women with the smallest waist and biggest hips were considered the most attractive.

Makes sense. Child-birthing hips = survival of the species.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I Hate Women Part 2

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

There's nothing to indicate that the process was particularly scientific either. Do we know what the sample size is? What the margin of error is? Where the sample population came from?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I wonder how this works with homosexuals?

perfect survey for soulstrut because I bet it has something to do with shoes

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

perfect survey for soulstrut because I bet it has something to do with shoes