old rock dudes (cant believe they are that old rel

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
been reading about The Police lately, interesting story...anywho..Andy Summers turns 67(!) this year. Holy shit...pushing 70. Didnt think dude was that old.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I was reading in Mojo about the 3 date Mott the Hoople reunion later this year.

Ian Hunter is seventy.

Seventy.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Ian Hunter is seventy.

Seventy.

All the young dudes are now collecting social security.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    been reading about The Police lately, interesting story...anywho..Andy Summers turns 67(!) this year. Holy shit...pushing 70. Didnt think dude was that old.

He is aging well too!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Another satisfied Bosley Hair Club client!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Andy Summers was in the last version of the Animals, so he was already a veteran by the time the Police rolled around.

• been reading about The Police lately, interesting story...anywho..Andy Summers turns 67(!) this year. Holy shit...pushing 70. Didnt think dude was that old.

Andy Summers was in the last version of the Animals, so he was already a veteran by the time the Police rolled around.

Before that he played with Zoot Money's Big Roll Band...

Ian Hunter is seventy.

Seventy.

haha I was just today reading a Lester Bangs article that
    was over 30 years old, and in it he was making fun of Ian
    Hunter for being so old!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Police sucked ass live in 07'.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Police suck in any year.
    Anyways, couldn't believe it when I saw these dudes live last year that he is 65

Dude, you better caption that photo or Pickwick 33 will come to your house and kill you.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    rock = old people music

this is a surprise?

Dude, you better caption that photo or Pickwick 33 will come to your house and kill you.
    i don't understand and I don't think he'd be bothered flying down here.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Nah he's too old for that bullshit...hehehehe

So who takes the crown for oldest living Hip Hop dude?
    Herc? Bam? Ice T? Mr Magic? KRS (he promised to stop rapping at 60...clock is ticking Kris)

So who takes the crown for oldest living Hip Hop dude?
    Herc? Bam? Ice T? Mr Magic? KRS (he promised to stop rapping at 60...clock is ticking Kris)
    I just found an old Ice T 7" in my shelves yesterday & played it, it made me smile. "The Coldest Rap" on Saturn. It's gotta be pretty early for him.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Chuck D is 50!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Yeah Ice gotta be pushing 60 easy.... when was Breakin released, he already looked middle age in that.....

The Coldest Rap is 'cool' but Killers and Reckless are my joints.....

Anyways, couldn't believe it when I saw these dudes live last year that he is 65

I can't believe Charlie Harper is ONLY 65.
    He was about 55 in '78.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this is already 6 years old, but this is a great portrait of an old dude still doing exactly what he was doing when he was in his 20s...

I can't believe Charlie Harper is ONLY 65.
    He was about 55 in '78.

The first 2 Police LPs are classiques, granted they became pointless after that...but those 2 LPs are better than anything the UK Subs ever did, one of the most boring punk bands ever.

True, but Stranglehold and Keep On Running were good, no?
    I liked Warhead too.
    Live, yes they were pretty rubbish, but luckily mostly a support band BITD, albeit a big(ish) name.

Hats off to Harper for making almost no talent stretch into a career (of sorts), a handful of hit records, and still being talked about 30 years after the fact.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Chuck D is 50!

I think Flavor Flav is older than that!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I have to admit that Keith Richards looks pretty svelte for 159

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I have to admit that Keith Richards looks pretty svelte for 159

Next year the Stones will embark on their "Steel Wheelchair Tour"

Come hear them do...

(I Can't Get No)Social Security
    Grandmother's Little Helper
    Time Is Not On My Side
    Get Off Of My Oxygen Line
    As Years Go By
    Time Waits For No One
    Move Over Beethoven
    (B)Itch

shit, Richards is only 65...and he somehow forgot how to play guitar sometime in his 50s....have ya heard one of his solos in the last 15 years? Crap.

• shit, Richards is only 65...and he somehow forgot how to play guitar sometime in his 50s....have ya heard one of his solos in the last 15 years? Crap.

It's hard to play the guitar when all the nerve endings between your brain and your fingers are fried...

The first 2 Police LPs are classiques, granted they became pointless after that...but those 2 LPs are better than anything the UK Subs ever did, one of the most boring punk bands ever.
    just not true... (you just have to forget the mid 80s & they still stack up) I think I just automatically start to feel nauseated as soon as anything is Sting related..

I liked Warhead too.
    Live, yes they were pretty rubbish, but luckily mostly a support band BITD, albeit a big(ish) name.

Hats off to Harper for making almost no talent stretch into a career (of sorts), a handful of hit records, and still being talked about 30 years after the fact.
    thankfully today they are a better live band than ever, I guess practice does pay off I'm off to see a double bill of Sham 69 & The Business next month, I wonder how they will compare......

I liked Warhead too.

thankfully today they are a better live band than ever, I guess practice does pay off
    I'm off to see a double bill of Sham 69 & The Business next month, I wonder how they will compare......

Wow that's some....unrighteous gig! Both bands notorious for their racist skinhead followings. Totally undeserved in Sham's case.
    The Business still get the odd play indoors, my kids love 'Harry May' for the neanderthal swearing and I must confess it still raises a chuckle.

I liked Warhead too.

thankfully today they are a better live band than ever, I guess practice does pay off
    I'm off to see a double bill of Sham 69 & The Business next month, I wonder how they will compare......

Wow that's some....unrighteous gig! Both bands notorious for their racist skinhead followings. Totally undeserved in Sham's case.
    The Business still get the odd play indoors, my kids love 'Harry May' for the neanderthal swearing and I must confess it still raises a chuckle.
    Yeah, I think the racist skinhead scene isn't too big here these days thankfully. I really liked Sham 69 because they were a big influence on the US hardcore scene which is what I used to be heavily into. The Business were ok, but I never got down with the whole skinhead soccer hooligan vibe. I do still have some of their records though since they were probably my favorite band in that style (if that says much?). Harry May is cool My partner still has a huge box of late 70s/early 80s UK punk 7"s, I'm not big on a lot of those bands because the US scene was where it was for me, she is pretty excited about the gig too.

Sham 69 have a huge racist skinhead following?

That doesn't really make any sense.