The power of radio (pissin off the old folks rel)

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Doin' my rock show this past Sunday. I played a tune by The Birds, and while doing my run down of tracks I said "2 very famous folks came out of that organiziation, Ron Wood, who obviously went on to be a Rolling Stone and their roadie, Mr. Lemmy Kilmiester" Instantly the phone rings...I pick up and the person on the other end says "Im calling from Zinnies (a restaurant with a large brunch crowd) and we have you playin in the restaurant...but Young man, you do not know what you are talking about, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page played in that band...not Ron Wood." I told him that I was talking about the Birds, not the Yardbirds. He then said, "well you are still mistaken, that was David Crosby in that band." I went on to say, "no, the Birds with an I not a Y, it was a UK group" He then said "Whatever, likin' the 60s stuff...some guy has been playing hard rock and metal lately and that stuff sucks"I told him, "well, that is me playing that stuff as well" "Well you cant do that" "Yes I can"....I then pumped Void "Who Are You" into his restaurant. Im sure it was only on for a few seconds, but still felt good that a bunch of brunchers had to hear Bubba Humphries guitar intro from hell while they dined...Dont tell me my business old man!

Comments

• Good work!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Doin' my rock show this past Sunday. I played a tune by The Birds, and while doing my run down of tracks I said "2 very famous folks came out of that organiziation, Ron Wood, who obviously went on to be a Rolling Stone and their roadie, Mr. Lemmy Kilmiester" Instantly the phone rings...I pick up and the person on the other end says "Im calling from Zinnies (a restaurant with a large brunch crowd) and we have you playin in the restaurant...but Young man, you do not know what you are talking about, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page played in that band...not Ron Wood." I told him that I was talking about the Birds, not the Yardbirds. He then said, "well you are still mistaken, that was David Crosby in that band."
    I went on to say, "no, the Birds with an I not a Y, it was a UK group" He then said "Whatever, likin' the 60s stuff...

Not to sound ageist, but I hate when older people play that "you weren't there so you don't know" card...no, I wasn't there, but hell, it's not like you can't still buy the records or read about it.

It's like the time I mentioned to some guy that my favorite Pink Floyd records were the ones with Syd Barrett. I was 23, he was 33. He then asked me which album "See Emily Play" was on. I told him it was from their first, self-titled album. He said, "no, it's on Relics".

Relics is a compilation.

Pink Floyd, on the Tower label, was the American title of The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.

I had the LP at home and even bought it at a store up the street from where we were having the argument! But no, he wouldn't hear of it and thought I was just some clueless MTV addict. No man who confuses King Curtis with Curtis Knight oughta be trying to school me in my rock history!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Doin' my rock show this past Sunday. I played a tune by The Birds, and while doing my run down of tracks I said "2 very famous folks came out of that organiziation, Ron Wood, who obviously went on to be a Rolling Stone and their roadie, Mr. Lemmy Kilmiester" Instantly the phone rings...I pick up and the person on the other end says "Im calling from Zinnies (a restaurant with a large brunch crowd) and we have you playin in the restaurant...but Young man, you do not know what you are talking about, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page played in that band...not Ron Wood." I told him that I was talking about the Birds, not the Yardbirds. He then said, "well you are still mistaken, that was David Crosby in that band."
    I went on to say, "no, the Birds with an I not a Y, it was a UK group" He then said "Whatever, likin' the 60s stuff...some guy has been playing hard rock and metal lately and that stuff sucks"
    I told him, "well, that is me playing that stuff as well"
    "Well you cant do that"
    "Yes I can"....I then pumped Void "Who Are You" into his restaurant. Im sure it was only on for a few seconds, but still felt good that a bunch of brunchers had to hear Bubba Humphries guitar intro from hell while they dined...

Dont tell me my business old man!

ahaha I like it! The best part is the guy who calls into the radio station--that makes it perfect. Calling radio stations means you're insane...especially now, in 2009.

alternate title: Last Night A DJ Ruined My Meatloaf

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    There should be a joke about an early bird special in here somewhere.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    there's that horrible Rush song...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Not to sound ageist, but I hate when older people play that "you weren't there so you don't know" card...no, I wasn't there, but hell, it's not like you can't still buy the records or read about it.

You mean like you & Lazerwolf did to me in that "fake psych" thread last month?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I went on to say, "no, the Birds with an I not a Y, it was a UK group" He then said "Whatever, likin' the 60s stuff...

It's like the time I mentioned to some guy that my favorite Pink Floyd records were the ones with Syd Barrett. I was 23, he was 33. He then asked me which album "See Emily Play" was on. I told him it was from their first, self-titled album. He said, "no, it's on Relics".

Relics is a compilation.

Pink Floyd, on the Tower label, was the American title of The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.

I had the LP at home and even bought it at a store up the street from where we were having the argument! But no, he wouldn't hear of it and thought I was just some clueless MTV addict. No man who confuses King Curtis with Curtis Knight oughta be trying to school me in my rock history!

i just dont think old dudes realize the wealth of information that is available..wether or not they are dicks about it is a different story...

This older guy who does the New Orleans show at the station told me my Eddie Bo show the other week was the greatest thing he had ever heard...he then asked me how old I was and then asked me how did I even know who Eddie Bo was?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This is what's fun about having a radio show.....I used to do a show here in Dallas called "The Roots Of Rock & Roll" and played pretty obscure rock, R&B and blues......I remember playing "Ice Cream Man" by John Brim and having 3-4 metal heads call up to inform me it was a van Halen song.....same thing when I played Little Walter's "Boom Boom, Out Go The Lights" and was informed it was a Pat Travers song first!!

But I didn't hate on any of them....at least they were listening!!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

This is true, although it would nice if dudes were sharp enough to realize they just got schooled instead of trying to do the schooling.

You mean like you & Lazerwolf did to me in that "fake psych" thread last month?

Almost but not quite. I might not have agreed with a point you made***, but I never out-and-out doubted your knowledge. Like that "Pink Floyd" guy did to me! (Nice guy, otherwise, we were friends...)

[color:red] ***no, Kenny Rogers was NOT a full-on underground/FM/psychedelic/progressive type, and Tom Jones is only a soul singer 50% of the time...they were both Top 40/AM pop acts, no more and no less...but that's another thread entirely, and I'll agree to disagree! [/color]

This is what's fun about having a radio show.....I used to do a show here in Dallas called "The Roots Of Rock & Roll" and played pretty obscure rock, R&B and blues......I remember playing "Ice Cream Man" by John Brim and having 3-4 metal heads call up to inform me it was a van Halen song.....same thing when I played Little Walter's "Boom Boom, Out Go The Lights" and was informed it was a Pat Travers song first!!

That's funny, you'd think they'd figure out from the recording technology that John Brim and Little Walter came before Van Halen and Pat Travers...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

That's funny, you'd think they'd figure out from the recording technology that John Brim and Little Walter came before Van Halen and Pat Travers...

The reason for this is simple, you can't school stupid.