Colombine was 10 years ago...

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I can't beleive its already been 10 years. I remember hearing about the news and being not at all suprised. What DID suprise me was how shocked everybody else seemed... all the "I can't beleive this happened?!?!?!?" talk, when I was suprised it hadn't happened sooner.I doubt highschool has really changed at all from 10 years ago.Anyways, I just saw a bunch of headlines about it and was kind of suprised that its been 10 years already since it happened.

Comments

• Yesterday's NY Times Book Review had a review of a new Columbine book that summed things up nicely for me. At this point, I never picture wanting to read the book, as 500 pages on Columbine seems like way too much, but years on, I may reconsider.

For now, though, the review said a lot...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/books/review/Senior-t.html?ref=books

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Probably not the same everywhere, but here in Denver, the media has been "spotlighting" Columbine for the last two weeks and it is really
    They are all talking about it, over and over and saying absolutley nothing.

• I highly recommend people do some reading on this, 10 years later. Slate.com also had a great look at it.

The article above talks about how, 1) the media fucked up the coverage. There was no trenchcoat mafia, but some kid saw a trench coat, media made it a story, and it became the prevailing story, and 2) and how this event changed policework forever, including the fact that this was the first event of its type that involved cell phones. People were reporting hearing gunshots that were actually the police, the police on the otherside of the school got confused and thought there were more than 2 gunmen, etc.

There is plenty to be learned from this event. We NEED to read up on our read ups.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Not to overshadow Columbine but yesterday also marks 16 years since the waco texas siege and 15 yrs since the oklahoma city bombing.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    don't ever watch that gus van sant film
    that is the boringest action movie ever

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Not to overshadow Columbine but yesterday also marks 16 years since the waco texas siege and 15 yrs since the oklahoma city bombing.

And let's not forget Virginia Tech, April 16, 2007. A very bad week in shootings.