Diggin spots in Detroit

niko10179niko10179 30 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Hi everybody,I am visiting Detroit over the weekend and wanted to ask if anybody has suggestions for good recordstores, flea markets etc... Thanks in advance for your suggestions.Niko

Comments

• If you use the search function you'll see this come up all the time- I think the same question was asked last week, or the week before.

Here's the quick of it-

Visit People's on woodward, where nice guys will give you fair prices on good records- lots of 45's.

And then go to the Record Graveyard in Hamtramack.

No ones really going to spill the beans on much more than that- but it will give you enough to look at and you'll walk away with good music and not alot of time wasted.

Flea markets are not what you think they are in Michigan.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Aaron at streetlight is the man as well
    some wonderful record people in detroit

• Visit People's on woodward, where nice guys will give you fair prices on good records- lots of 45's.

Fair prices... haha... that's a good joke. Be prepared to select a bunch of 45's you like with no prices and then bring them to Brad to be priced via Manship or Popsike. LPs are priced fair, but for 45's forget it --unless, of course, you're friends with him.

Go to the St. Vincent De Paul on Grand River & Greenfield

No, but seriously Street CORNER is the truth. Also, DON'T go to the Dixieland flea market, there is nothing to be had.

NOTE: If you're into Xian Gospel or Polka Bonerz -- then Detroit and the surrounding areas will be like heaven for you.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Streetlight

• Oh god

Streetcorner

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    sometimes I get the feeling that out-of-towners come thru expecting to find thrifts full of Tribe lps & minty northern soul promos

the competition is just too ruthless around here for that - toothless dudes talmbout 'this isn't for sale' / 'make me an offer' shit over rinked dollar bin garbage at the flea markets

• sometimes I get the feeling that out-of-towners come thru expecting to find thrifts full of Tribe lps & minty northern soul promos

Oh yeah -- never that shit.

Last time I was there, I hit all the thrift stores and found nothing. Basically, I went to every thrift store inside the red lines, except for a few that are too hood out on the East side of Detroit.

• head034head034 24 Posts
    Hit up Ann Arbor, it is only 30 minutes away, also try Car City records. Used to work there..

+1 on Peoples, Graveyard, and StreetCorner!

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

Visit People's on woodward, where nice guys will give you fair prices on good records- lots of 45's.

Fair prices... haha... that's a good joke. Be prepared to select a bunch of 45's you like with no prices and then bring them to Brad to be priced via Manship or Popsike. LPs are priced fair, but for 45's forget it --unless, of course, you're friends with him.

How would you price 45s if you were running a record store in Detroit, or anywhere else for that matter? Do you know how much everything costs off the top of your head?

Brad's prices are more than fair, and he'll give most anyone a discount off the final price as well.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Hasn't Funkyou cleared up Detroit by now?

• Visit People's on woodward, where nice guys will give you fair prices on good records- lots of 45's.

How would you price 45s if you were running a record store in Detroit, or anywhere else for that matter? Do you know how much everything costs off the top of your head?

Brad's prices are more than fair, and he'll give most anyone a discount off the final price as well.

No, I definitely don't know how much everything costs off the top of my head. I would probably use those sites as a guide, but nothing more. I prefer "completed listings" on ebay -- it's much more realistic than the two aforementioned sites.

Look, if dude want's to sell mint or ex 45's in Detroit for UK prices, that's fine, but seriously, seriously trying to sell non-raer G+ records for anything above a $1 is kinda fucked.

Chris @ Street Corner is what's up. Has a killer G+ to VG+ $1 section and was just all around awesome / fair / etc. I'm not going to really go into details of how he came through for me, but let's just say it's the type of thing that dudes would lose sleep over (myself included).