turntable/stereo question

longbongsilverlongbongsilver 7 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Ain't been here in forever. Forgot my 1st signon name and just found the site again. Anyway, I got a kinda dillemma on my hands, figured some of you guys would have an idea about it. It may take awhile, but here goes:I been trying to get back into collectin vinyl, for both listening and sampling purposes, since recovering from some very serious ish that I'd rather not discuss online. Well, prior to that, the listening part was easy, as long before I ever got into making music I had an old stereo that had a turntable on it.Then, when I started doing beats an whatnot, at first I was on some super-low-budget stuff. My soundcard was too crappy to be recording samples with, and didn't even have the proper connectors for me to run a turntable directly into it, so I had to use a f'in MIC, and even that involved lugging the stereo upstairs. I didn't have the money to do otherwise, so that's how it went.Fast forward to today: the computer has been upgraded to a rather kick-ass setup, better soundcard, better cpu, better everything. Yet since I never was able to hook a turntable up properly before I never learned how. Now I'm able to at the computer side of the equation, but since I also listen, I want to get a portable (or "portable" in the sense that it's not too heavy to get annoyed at carrying it between my room and the downstairs stereo) so I can switch it between the two. As if that's not enough, that old stereo I'm talking about is now on its last legs, so I'm going to replace it. So I now have to figure out the following:-hooking up a turntable to my computer soundcard (it's an Audigy , case that helps). -figuring out what connections would allow me to switch that turntable between the computer (where I record) AND the stereo, which will influence what stereo I get.-picking a turntable for this role (I don't plan on scratching, so no one say "technics!" or anything else above roughly $140) I hear there's some specifically made for being portable, but I don't necessarily need something "portable" as long as it's light enough to where I wouldn't mind carrying it frequently. Unless the portable-made ones have features that'd make it even more convenient.Whatever you can say that would help me, say it. I'm all ears.

Comments

• Welcome Longbong!

-hooking up a turntable to my computer soundcard (it's an Audigy , case that helps).
    -figuring out what connections would allow me to switch that turntable between the computer (where I record) AND the stereo, which will influence what stereo I get.

I have an Audigy as well: turntable is part of the stereo, but is plugged into the mixer. mixer has one line going into the audigy. computer has a line out going to the mixer.done.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    If you don't have a mixer you can buy a preamp to connect the turntable to, then connect that to your line-in on the computer. RadioShack has them for around $25.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=42-2825

• (didn't see that other post before this one, ignore)

• Hmm....didn't know they even made seperate pre-amps.

What's next, turntables with 'em onboard??

• up...