the new Grey Gardens movie on HBO

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
If you're a fan of the classic Grey Gardens doc you should definitely try to check this out on HBO this weekend. It maybe comes off a little cheesy in the trailer, but I'm telling you, they did a fantastic job with this. Barrymore absolutely nails it as Edie Beal.

Comments

• since the original had so much genuine humour, drama and heart its a little bit weird that it has been re-created as a musical and now a fictionalized bio-pic.

i get that all movies are illusions and so forth but (based solely on that trailer) something feels oddly manipulative about this re-recreation. i will tune in but i doubt i will make it all the way through.

nevertheless, if it raises the profile of the maysles brothers and their original documentary then i could never be mad at it.

• Wow, I didn't know there was a musical.

They did a really good job of incorporating their lives previous to holing themselves up in Grey Gardens. Added another dimension to the story, and it worked well.

And what a story it is.

As a sidenote, I saw this tonight at a screening hosted by Ben Bradlee, former editor of The Washington Post. He and his wife now OWN Grey Gardens and it's their summer home.

• As a sidenote, I saw this tonight at a screening hosted by Ben Bradlee, former editor of The Washington Post. He and his wife now OWN Grey Gardens and it's their summer home.

neat- i wonder if they bought it for peanuts when it was all run down then refurbished it. that place must be worth huge bucks now.