DJ Qbert Interview

badnoozbearbadnoozbear 26 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
> Recently,the Civil family had the opportunity to interview the legendary DJ-Qbert, formerly of the Invisibl Skratch Piklz. This man really needs no introduction, as he single-handedly helped change the game of turntablism and inspire a generation of Djs/ Producers. He constantly elevates and sets the bar, laying a foundation for the rest.

qbert CIVIL: What's up Qbert,.. how are you doin today? Qbert: Good! I'm in Switzerland right now as we speak...

CIVIL:What inspired you to be a DJ /Turntablist and how did you get started? Qbert: I started doing it just for fun back in the mid 80's, but it turned into more.

CIVIL:How have you managed to maintain your longevity as an artist? Qbert: I don't know... maybe it's because I'm always learning and discovering new ways of creating music with skratching. it always becomes more interesting when you put in time, because then you will always come across new ideas.

dj-qbert-wave-twisters CIVIL: What is the inspiration for Wavetwisters? Is there a sequel coming? QBERT: I just wanted to do something different. i wanted graffiti to be animated to skratch music, and so i made it.I am working on another film right now!For more on this interview go www.civilclothing.com

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• :

I'm as quick as anyone to lament the wackness that turntablism acolytes brought to DJ'ing, turned it into a soulless scratchmasturbation contest, but hating on Qbert is just lame. This guy is seriously a genius and it's awe-inspiring to watch him do his thing.

• Options
    :

I'm as quick as anyone to lament the wackness that turntablism acolytes brought to DJ'ing, turned it into a soulless scratchmasturbation contest, but hating on Qbert is just lame. This guy is seriously a genius and it's awe-inspiring to watch him do his thing.

I was on some ehhhhh shit myself until I realized that the link at the bottom produces the rest of the interview. I thought the guy posted a 4 question interview like it was a revelation or something.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    :

I was on some ehhhhh shit myself until I realized that the link at the bottom produces the rest of the interview. I thought the guy posted a 4 question interview like it was a revelation or something.

but the rest of the interview is this:

CIVIL: What???s currently on rotation on your Ipod/Music player?
    Qbert:Crystal Bowl Meditations by big secret music group.
    CIVIL:haha, Thats ill and pretty Gangsta.

wtf????????????

• i clicked on that link and it took me to some site that sells tacky clothing- doesn;t that make this "interview" simply an advertisement for those hipster shmata's?

here's another gem:

CIVIL: Favorite food?
    Qbert: raw vegan
    CIVIL: Whoa, thats crazy.. you???re hardcore!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    In all fairness, Q-Bert is a challenging interview insofar as he tends to give very short answers rather than long expositions. I've always enjoyed talking to him - he's got a good sense of humor but can also be very thoughtful - but it definitely takes some time to get him to really start riffing on stuff.

Of course, when the questions are this generic, it's not surprising you'd get a canned response:

"CIVIL:What inspired you to be a DJ /Turntablist and how did you get started?

Qbert: I started doing it just for fun back in the mid 80's, but it turned into more."

I mean, c'mon.

• Haha Fair enough, You guys are tough.

Not all the questions are generic though. Any thoughts on better questions and some more positive critique without necessarily destroying me? I'm about to interview Chemist, and Z trip. so i want to do a more stimulating interview.
    I'm all for the critique as long as you guys tell me ways i can improve. I mean sure bitter sarcasm is fun and great, but it doesnt help in the long run.
    In all fairness, if you really take a look at our line it is dope.. there is a real philosophy on our brand, while im not really on here to promote unless its relevant.
    Our interviews with Graff artists Retna and Model Joli were much more in depth, in all honesty I had to do this interview within a couple hours.
    Thanks for the critique and keep it coming...

• you guys are tough.
    welcome to tha strut dude!

• you guys are tough.

Thanks for the warm welcome.. Let me know though.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    you guys are tough.

Thanks for the warm welcome.. Let me know though.

like o-dub said, ask questions that will produce longer and more indepth answers. Personally, I don't care what Cut Chemists favorite cereal is.

• The thing to remember is that we as fans have read these same
    questions time and time again for years.

That being said, it's not too hard to ask the same general questions
    in a way that will provoke a more original response.
    Fo' instance, instead of "what got you into dj'n", try something like
    "describe your first paid gig" or "what scratch routine off a record
    did you first learn", or something specific that might provoke an
    answer that is not readily available in every other interview.

Your clothing line and website seems aimed at the type of person
    that has already ingested a fair amount of media about the subjects,
    so that should allow you to go straight past the general info and
    more into the subjects opinions of the craft, stories, prefrences etc.

Good luck. Sounds fun.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    ASK HIM WHEN WE CAN EXPECT MANGO_ISLAND BRAND MAJIK SOUP.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ask him about his drug use and the concepts he comes up with when on that thang! (asking about dj disk and where the name ISP came from would be appropriate in relation to this)

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    djqbert does drugs?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    A few years ago I was playing at this spot in SF and it was packed and popping and I was doing some cutting and scratching and then I turned around and standing right behind me on stage was Q-Bert and then I basically I had to stop immediately because I couldn't handle the whole weight.

• I have the same story, only it's Shortkut instead of Q-Bert. MODED.

• A few years ago I was playing at this spot in SF and it was packed and popping and I was doing some cutting and scratching and then I turned around and standing right behind me on stage was Q-Bert and then I basically I had to stop immediately because I couldn't handle the whole weight.

Ha,that's pretty funny.