Best place in NYC to change Euros to Dollars?

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Anybody know an exchange office that offers fair rates?Thanx!Frank

Comments

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    are wine stores in the east village still accepting euros? remember that gimmick?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Grand Central Station?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Find someone who's going to Euroland. Otherwise you'll get reamed.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This is totally retarded... Travelex buys Euros at $1.19 when the official exchange rate is 1,- Euro = $1.32
    I can't believe anybody would go for a deal this shitty. Then the next place called "Change Group" tells me they don't give out rates over the phone... what the fusk??
    Best offer I found so far is Omnex with $1.26 on the Euro. Still kinda bad...

When I lived here back in the 90s, there were soem smaller exchange places that usually had much better rates but I can't remember where that was, I think somewhere around the Lowere East Side...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

When I lived here back in the 90s, there were soem smaller exchange places that usually had much better rates but I can't remember where that was, I think somewhere around the Lowere East Side...

Yeah, also Thomson Travel near 40th St I think. They were great and had minimal commission. But these are the sorts of things you don't get in NYC anymore.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Yeah, also Thomson Travel near 40th St I think. They were great and had minimal commission. But these are the sorts of things you don't get in NYC anymore.

What, they're not around anymore? I don't understand...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Frank, have you tried main branches of banks? I think i did a bunch maybe 5 years ago at the main Chase branch in midtown.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    This is totally retarded... Travelex buys Euros at $1.19 when the official exchange rate is 1,- Euro = $1.32
    I can't believe anybody would go for a deal this shitty. Then the next place called "Change Group" tells me they don't give out rates over the phone... what the fusk??

if the official rate is 1 euro = 1.32 USD, i don't know if you will find better than 1.26 (assuming that is w/o fees)

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Frank, have you tried main branches of banks? I think i did a bunch maybe 5 years ago at the main Chase branch in midtown.

I've tried that, thanks. But generally banks only change money for you if you have an account and their rates are also pretty unattractive...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

if the official rate is 1 euro = 1.32 USD, i don't know if you will find better than 1.26 (assuming that is w/o fees)

I guess you're right... 1.26 ain't that bad. There's only a $3 fee regardless of the amount being exchanged.