Obama collectibles everywhere

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I was in Newbury Comics the other day looking for Waxpoetic's. As i was looking around i noticed about 100 different Obama related items from t-shirts to small figures that you can color yourself to talking Obama dolls. I know there are some people on this message board that have a hard on for Obama, have any of you guys been purchasing any of those collectibles?

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    The DC flea markets are flooded with this stuff. It reached a fever pitch around the inauguration of course. Everybody was hustlin. Back in January a guy came through my shop with some CD's called "Barack Steady" http://cdbaby.com/cd/royalobama2
    He wanted me to buy hundreds and open a sidewalk table during the inauguration. I did neither, consigned a few and sold exactly ZERO copies of this piece of garbage. He still hasn't come back for his CD's which I will probably toss this week unless y'all want em!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Save those for when the turned up collar boogie dudes switch to checkin cds. You'll be sitting on private press gold.
    PS Solid as Barack > Barack Steady

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I think most of these will go the way of the Paul McCartney live in the USSR album.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Not much of that stuff will ever be collectible.

I have lots of old buttons and bumper stickers from way back and that stuff doesn't sell for but a few bucks on ebay.

Where some of that stuff may find a market someday is as folk art.

Last May when Obama came to Portland I was staggered by the number of home made t's for sale. Some were nice.

By September most cities had hustlers selling legit campaign stuff on the street corners.

Around the same time we started seeing the bobblehead dolls and souvenir plates.
    My feeling is anything that is made as a collectible will never become a collectible.

I saved the November 5th newspaper, as did everyone else.
    I also have an Ethopian Americans for Obama poster which is nice.

Some lady dumped off a bunch of look and life magazines with John Kennedy on the cover. If you have a mint one and are a respected magazine seller on ebay you can get $6. Otherwise no bids. On the up side, I got an inside the Masonic Temple issue. Maybe someone here would be willing to pay me big dollars to find out the truth about the Masons.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

My feeling is anything that is made as a collectible will never become a collectible.
    Yup. The whole "collectibles" industry trades on people having no clue what makes an item collectable.

Franklin Mint 100 Greatest masterpeices 208 oz. silver
    View similar active items | Sell one like this
    This seller accepts PayPal
    12 Bids
    Sold $2,456.35 Mar-19 19:44

New York Spot Price
    light
    MARKET IS CLOSED
    (Will open in 14 hrs. 36 mins.)

Silver Charts

SILVER

03/23/2009

13.66 /oz

sooo 208 ounces * $13.66 = $2841.28

I say melt those puppies down and collect your $400.